Is my motherboard fried/frying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick713

I have a gateway m1625. Its about a year and a half old, and has gotten quite a bit of use. About 2 months ago, the harddrive failed, and i replaced it. I also upgraded it to windows 7 at this time.
It was fine until about a month ago, when it suddenly started having trouble starting up. I figured it was the CMOS battery, and replaced it. No luck.

here's a rundown of what happens.

stage 1
when i hit the power button, the wireless icon lights up, but nothing else happens. The latops sits there, blank screen, no light but the wireless.
I then have to manually turn it off and on again. This usually happens 5 to 10 times in a row.

stage 2
after that happens 5-10 times, when i push the power button, the wireless light lights up as before, and the CD/DVD light flashes. I hear the drive start. Then nothing.
this usually happens about 5-10 times, with me manually restarting it each time.

stage 3
i push the button, the wireless lights up, the cd light flashes, and the harddrive light flashes of a split second, the HD makes noise for a split second, and the laptop immediately restarts itself. it goes through this process maybe a half dozen times, then stops with a blank screen. I think manually restart it, and go through this stage a couple more times.

stage 4
after going through stage 3 a couple times, the wireless light lights up, the cd flashes, the HD flashes, and the Caps lock and Num lock icons flash. it then acts like its going to start, but instead just has a blank screen. i maunally restart it. this usually happens twice

stage 5
after stage 4 happens twice, it beeps once and brings up this screen
DSC01380.jpg

if i hit f2 and reset the default bios, we go all the way back to stage 1. If i hit f1 to resume, i get this screen for a couple seconds
DSC01381.jpg

and then windows starts.

Once windows starts, everythign is perfectly fine. The laptop runs as good as it ever has, it just take about 30 minutes to get it to start.
I find it weird that the startup progresses like it does, and its always pretty much the same.
I know the this laptop has a history of bad boards, is the motherboard causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure whether it'll help but read this.

interesting....the part about the HD possibly being a problem might apply, next time i shut it down i'll swap the old on back in and see if it still has trouble running through the bios. it didnt before with the bad HD in it, it just couldnt finish starting windows.
i dont think its a bios mismatch like the person in that thread, right? because it was fine for a month after i installed 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back