Is my PSU the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a PC from a store that assembles computers for you. I gave my new computer a try for about a week and noticed my screen would go black for a couple of seconds and then everything would come back to normal with a "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message. I also sometimes get a bluescreen with a 0x00000124 or a 0x00000116 both display errors as well. Other times the screen will go black but I can tell the computer is still running. All of this occurs during gameplay and sometimes when performing normal tasks like browsing. I reinstalled the catalyst drivers among a lot of other stuff I found in the internet with no luck.

Anyways, I came to the conclusion that it might be the power supply that is having trouble keeping up with the rest of my components, but I’m no expert. My PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 600watts.

My full specs are:
Asus P6T SE mobo
Intel i7-920 2.66GHz
Corsair Memory 1600Mhz – 12GB 6x2gb
Sapphire Radeon HD 4890
WD 1TB HD and 2x Maxtor 500 GB
Thermaltake 600watt PSU
Windows 7 64bit

Could it really be the psu? Or if its anything else any suggestion would be appreciated.

Well, 600W hould be sufficient to run the system. I would recommend that you do a clean install of Windows once again and install all the drivers afresh.

If that doesn't work, try a different PSU. If that fails to solve the issue then it might be your video card.

What version of ATI's graphics driver are you using ?
The PSU is more than adequate for the purpose. You can make sure the power connections are well secured and the graphics card is seated correctly in the motherboard slot, But this sounds like a driver/graphics card problem.

I tried installing clean versions of the drivers , I'm currently running version 10.1 but nothing has changed. I'm going to install a clean version of windows and see if that works.
Thanks for the help so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back