Is my trusty Samsung monitor giving up the ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

have had a Samsung SyncMaster 753DF CRT monitor for a number of years now (6-7 years). It worked great with my old Pentium 3 system and is now part of our second family system.

In the last few years every once in a great while the screen would have a sheer pinkish over the screen. It wouldn't last long and for long periods never occur. In fact for the last year it was always clear -- until yesterday and today.

The sheer pink is ever present. No settings were changed. No power failures to speak of or hard reboots. It remained so until my son flicked the screen with his finger. Now it is back to normal.

Any ideas? If I have to buy a monitor so be it but if I don't have to spend the money so much the better.

I suppose with a monitor of that age there could be some dirty connections involved. It might be helpful to re-seat the CRT socket where it connects to the image tube, also the yoke connector and degaussing ring.

Before you go inside, make certain the plug is pulled and you bleed off any residual charge by holding the power switch in.

ALSO, most, if not all CRTs have a High Voltage cage, (sort of a box separate from the main chassis), do not attempt to go inside, avoid it like the plague, it will light you up big time!

You should have a DeGauss option on the monitor; my CRT has that and it usually clears up these issues.

It's basically due to the electron gun inside getting misaligned and causing the wierd colors.

You should have a DeGauss option on the monitor; my CRT has that and it usually clears up these issues.

It's basically due to the electron gun inside getting misaligned and causing the wierd colors.

Thanks guys for the advice; much appreciated. And captain, my son turns on the computer and the monitor was functioning perfectly all day.

@Rage - What do I want to do with the DeGauss option on the monitor? Sorry, I never used this before and therefore have no knowledge to work from. Also, how does the electron get misaligned? Just curious. The monitor wasn't moved.

Thanks again.

Just use the DeGauss option, that's it.

The gun gets misaligned due to external fields affecting the plates that focus the electron beam onto the screen. DeGaussing realigns the field from the plates to eliminate the effect of the unwanted magnetic fields.

Another insight is your mobo could be messed up or the vga cable, this used to happen on my old stock emachines, and i banged on the case and it the sheer pink went away, luckily nothing got messed up, but anyways I replaced the mobo, and used my video card's vga connection, my mobo's won't work for some reason, and I don't see that problem anymore. However I never ran any DeGauss option.

Well guys the pink went away for three weeks and now it has been back for two days.

Rage, I tried DeGauss three separate times: twice yesterday and once today and it failed to clear out the pink sheen.

I may have to llokk into what the captain said but I've never done it before.

The monitor can be repaired, but its about time you upgraded to a new LCD or LED monitor

My wife wants to get me one for Christmas and I am trying to wait until some of the Black Friday deals come around to see what is avaliable.

Meanwhile, how difficult would this be to repair? If I can get it to work until the holiday so much the better, but I certainly won't fool with anything out of my league.

Its probably a cold solder joint on the chroma input board, where the computer interface cable connects to

Its probably a cold solder joint on the chroma input board, where the computer interface cable connects to

Chroma board... what? Where is cable connects to...

Thanks "T" for the feedback. If I'm lucky the monitor will revert back to normal and hope it stays that way for a few weeks. :D

There is a circuit board where the tube socket is, going to the CRT. This board may have the color drive transistors (RGB) on it. This is where cold solder joints form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back