Is Radeon 8500 better then Radeon 9600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludwig

When I play my games I find that I get less lag and less problems with the 8500 then my 9600.. Mind you a 8500 was bought second hand..

The computer with the 9600 haves better and more of Ram, cpu, and motherboard a newer model..
Sence I started to play Wow my 9600 is acting up with the Gamma. Every other game that I do play my gamma keeps reseting on me.. Even on my desktop. It gets realy dark..

How could this make sence, that a old used up 8500 works better then a newer 9600? Could it be my powersupply? 350W

Hi Ludwig,
The 9600 is an AGP 8x, DirectX 9.0 videocard.

The 8500 is a DirectX 8.0(8.1) videocard and therefore is limited in support when games query features.

Running a game on the 8500 may be a totally different game on a 9600, as the 9600 can enable much more detail, higher pixel/vertex shader support and a plethora of other advanced features. For this reason, even a beefier system may perform lesser than a slower system with an 8500. It's because many of the newer DirectX 9.0 features also take a toll on the CPU/memory and mainboard performance.

As far as Gamma goes- this would suggest something may be misconfigured with your installation of the ATI drivers on the 9600, or that system may have left-over components from previous drivers. This is pretty easy to have happen. I'd recommend obtaining Driver Cleaner Pro at www.drivercleaner.net. Install this, run it's Live Update to get the latest cleaners... but don't run it. Use the Control Panel/Add-Remove programs and uninstall ALL ATI drivers here first.. then reboot in safe mode and run Driver Cleaner Pro (safe mode/administrator).. After this, in normal mode again, try the latest drivers from ATI.

Thanks

Thanks.. Wow I like this forum for fast problem fixing.. I can learn so much about computers just here..

I'll try that program out.. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back