Is there a way to recover data from a RAID setup with a bad motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweaks_sav

I have a good bit of experience swapping drives and rebuilding arrays, but not with getting data if either the PCI RAID Controller or the onboard RAID controller on the motherboard fails.
What's the best way to do this? Does it matter what RAID is used (1, 0, 5)?
I have spare PC's available to plug the drives into and such. I'm looking for a solution to just get the data and not replace the motherbaord.

I'm guessing if the RAID is on a PCI card, the card can be moved to another computer and the settings should be intact....

if u use RAID1, the raid will perform the backup on everything on the hard drive. this the safest way to set up a system if u have things on it u can not afford to lose, it is a little slower than RAID 0 but a whole lot safer, as with RAID 0 if one hard drive goes down u loose everything.

Heh, thanks, I understand how RAID works. What I'm asking is how to recover data when the controller or motherboard fails NOT if a hard drive in the RAID fails.

Just a thought: Let's say you install as Raid 0 on a mobo with Intel Raid and the chipset is 925X.

If you took those drives and connected them to another Intel Raid supporting mobo in the same position (Sata 0 and Sata 1 slots as example) and that mobo had the bios set the same to recognize the Raid 0, the only real difference I can see would be the chipset drivers.

Those you 'might' be able to change by booting into Safe Mode.

Again, I am just woolgathering here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back