Is this a good PC gaming computer?

Hello, I just was looking online and I figured I might aswell see about my build. Would this be a good computer for gaming? I will list the specs, and you tell me if I am missing something please!

SPECS:

ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX HD-597A-CNB9 Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

OCZ Reaper HPC R2 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600R2LV6GK

Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980X0

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Seagate Savvio 10K.4 ST9600104SS 600GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SAS 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (This is my Secondary harddrive.)

All around cost is $3,404.89

So how does this system do with games? Please tell me if i need to add or delete some things, I want it to be Perfect

Also, I will be putting Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on it.

Just built a gaming system using the same CoolerMaster HAF-932. What a great case to work with and in!

If you can wait, Intel is about to release their newest cpu offerings "Sandy Bridge." Then make your choice and you may get some the parts you list a little less expensive. But, yes, that system you're putting together is very powerful.

However, have you considered the Radeon latest offerings?

Just built a gaming system using the same CoolerMaster HAF-932. What a great case to work with and in!

If you can wait, Intel is about to release their newest cpu offerings "Sandy Bridge." Then make your choice and you may get some the parts you list a little less expensive. But, yes, that system you're putting together is very powerful.

However, have you considered the Radeon latest offerings?

What are Radeons latest offerings? :D and thank you for making me feel better about building it, i was second guessing myself for a while. haha

I truly believe that if you take your time and can wait until the latest offerings coming this winter and spring you'll get more "bang for your buck."

I would suggest that you request the mods to move your thread to General Hardware because you'll get a ton more very useful feedback.

The Raden 6800 series. Look into it.

How does this add up to $3000??
Ditch those drives too, maybe the SAS is adding on money. Plus SSD's and a fast 1TB or 2TB drive would be much faster.

lmao cost beside if youre building that kind of system and have to ask if it can play games you dont deserve it :p that will play anything and everything on high settings if anything its overkill

Your CPU costs a grand, and you don't need six cores, not at that price.

Get the i7-950 and overclock it. Between the CPU and a good cooler, you'll spend half the price and get better performance.

If you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, you can always consider getting a prebuilt computer. You seem to be picking out the most expensive components anyway.

10k RPM drives are pointless to have, especially since you have SSDs now. Get a Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB drive (or two) for storage, and grab one or two SSDs (like hk stated), and you should have a much faster system.

gwailo247 is right; if you are going to be doing nothing but gaming, an i7 950 will be a better buy.

Also, I would go with a GTX 570, unless you are planning on gaming at 2560x1600 or are going to be using a multi-monitor setup.

Lastly, I suggest getting a better cooler like the Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctua NH-C14, Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme or the Spire Thermax Eclipse II.

well if thats what he wants then he should get it but an SSD and good old 2tb drive would be so much better along with a different cpu cooler for starters i would recommend also two AMD 6950 cards in crossfire.

That system will run every single game on the market and will barely even break a sweat. Those are very high end parts.

Back