Is this TechSpot warning permanent?

CharmsD

I understand the need for this from time to time but it's on every page. I've clicked through to read the terms several times in case it's user specific, apparently I'm not being 'onboarded' by a cookie or anything so I though I would ask.

@Julio Franco if you have a sec to answer?

Thank you.

So Techspot is censoring comments if they think they are negative? Changing comments if they disagree with what is being said?

Hey, @Julio Franco , why dont you ask NeoGaf how that went for them? Or ResetEra? Or Overclock.net? Or any number of older forums for dedicated hobbies that ran down this rabbit hole, from model railroading to vehicle modification to sportsball? All you are going to do is drive away engagement from users to other web sites.

This was all triggered by comments in the coronavirus thread. Several responses there have been moderated or outright deleted. If Techspot really thinks they know better then their commenters, they are going to end up obliterating their site's community. The site will no longer self moderate, the truly toxic comments will continue to flow in, and instead of trying to correct the issue, the moderate commenters will simply leave instead of using a site that censors them for not liking a game that the site owner does.

History repeats itself.

Last edited:
I understand the need for this from time to time but it's on every page. I've clicked through to read the terms several times in case it's user specific, apparently I'm not being 'onboarded' by a cookie or anything so I though I would ask.
It's a temporary notice and is being shown to everyone.

BTW, thanks to your screenshot I realized it looked so ugly on dark mode... now fixed :)

So Techspot is censoring comments if they think they are negative? Changing comments if they disagree with what is being said?
Is that what you understood from the note? I can tell you that is not what it says, nor the intention. We're asking for smart and respectful comments, opposed to toxic ones, that's it.

This was not triggered by the recent coronavirus thread, but an on-going trend we've been observing. At the very least give us the benefit of the doubt. I'm personally not familiar with what happened to those other sites you mention, but I am familiar with many others that decided to shut down comments entirely. I believe that's the easy approach and not the path we want to take.

Is that what you understood from the note? I can tell you that is not what it says, nor the intention. We're asking for smart and respectful comments, opposed to toxic ones, that's it.

This was not triggered by the recent coronavirus thread, but an on-going trend we've been observing. At the very least give us the benefit of the doubt. I'm personally not familiar with what happened to those other sites you mention, but I am familiar with many others that decided to shut down comments entirely. I believe that's the easy approach and not the path we want to take.

"As of late however we’ve noticed an uptick in user comment negativity and cynicism that is contrary to this long standing tradition.

We are asking you to be part of a positive change. Members who decide to go against our rules of respect and well intentioned commentary will be moderated accordingly."

I've highlighted the important bits for you. Using clever words like "Moderating negative comments" is no different then censoring negative comments.

Since you are not familiar with those other sites, let me explain. Those other sites, and many hobbist forums int he late 2000s, began to "moderate" comments that they felt were too negative or "cynical". Notably, much as has happened in the coronavirus thread, these "moderations" usually ended up targeting people that were telling off toxic commenters. As time went on this behaviour worsened, and soon any comment critical of the site's moderation or content was being "moderated" to either be positive or removed completely, as the rest of the world calls it, Censorship.

This caused a mass exodus of moderate users who were tired of being censored by the board's admins, and eventually led to the community falling apart. Overclock.net frequently falls into political spats, when it doesnt the technical discussions always revolve around the same basic talking points because the guys who were deeply knoledgeable about hardware all pissed off when the site started being heavy handed towards them over the use of mean words. NeoGaf began banning people who were negative towards games with certian political leanings and certian creators behind them, causing most gamers interested in legit discussion to leave the site. Then the worst of the censors left to form ResetEra, which has become, in no uncertian terms, a board full of dangerhair fat cat ladies with no life screaming about politics and femenism in games while banning anyone who dares go against the site's hivemind.

Every. Single. Board. that implemented these rules pinkyswore they would not be used to abuse user posts, or were not targeting criticism, but all of them went the same way, every single time. The powers were used to quell overt cynicism, which then became latent cynicism, then "overly harsh, unfair" critcizm, then moderate criticism, ece. Every board that did this either has ceased to exist (the hobbyist forums) as users left for things liek facebook groups and reddit, or became the sites I mentioned, shells of their former selves surviving on the table scraps of donations and ad revenue to stay afloat.

I cant give you the benefit of the doubt, because this has happened a million times before. "toxic" is a very nebulous word, and one that is frequently abused and becomes a constant moving target. TechSpot is no different then any other tech site, and the moderation WILL get out of hand and start driving users away. I know you say that it is only about toxic comments, but based on the warning you have put on your site you consider negative comments to be toxic (if you dont consider negative comments to be toxic, then why warn that negative posts will be moderated instead of toxic ones?), that is a hell of a slippery slope. Huburis in moderation has killed sites far bigger then techspot.

I don’t agree. But that’s fine. You’re picking words out of context. Either way we just want encourage people to keep up within the forums guidelines. Those guidelines have not changed in years. Big quote from there:

The golden rule that will keep you in good standing within our community is respect.

My problem with this is that TechSpot, as well as myself as a member of a TV production crew from the most powerful news brand in the country, is a member of an independent free press. We should be encouraging the exchange of ideas rather than censoring the slightest disagreements, which is essentially what this will snowball into.

Frankly, I've had several of my posts removed lately, and they didn't even seem negative. Cynical, maybe, but I would argue they're more predictive than cynical.

Just to provide an example, one interaction I had was with another commenter where we agreed that a particular user of this website would show up and brag about his awesome 2080 Ti and how AMD is hot garbage. Well guess what? Our posts were promptly deleted, and mere hours later the said poster showed up bragging about his 2080 Ti and maximum overdrive ultra-mega Core i9 processor, and how anything below a 2080 isn't worth it--especially if it's an AMD card. If you frequent this website as much as I do, I'm pretty confident that you can figure out who I'm talking about. His post wasn't deleted like ours were, and I feel as though his posts are severely more negative than ours were.

We should be encouraging the development of IT skills at all levels, especially if it is through the desire to build a budget gaming rig. Not everyone can afford a 2080 Ti. Some of us here make due with something like an RX 570/580/590, or even older used hardware.

I try to be as good of an influence as I can, and sometimes that means having to call out other people for their shenanigans. I've been coming to this website for 14 years now. I was even banned at one point if you recall the whole "Howard" scandal when we had a site administrator go AWOL. I don't want a massive exodus from TechSpot. Its content is arguably some of the most reliable and least tainted by outside interests out on the web right now.

Last edited:
We should be encouraging the exchange of ideas rather than censoring the slightest disagreements.
Agreed on this. We want the exchange of ideas and polite disagreement. We don’t want this to snowball nor do we want to moderate with a heavy hand. For that very reason we’re asking you to keep our terms in mind before posting...

But, we can also do better, and after some reflection perhaps the closing part of our appeal was too indicative of "moderation" which was not the spirit of the whole thing.

It's a temporary notice and is being shown to everyone.

BTW, thanks to your screenshot I realized it looked so ugly on dark mode... now fixed

Thank you for answering, Mr. Julio. You've built a great site here, and the software is wonderful. I apologize for my comments that were over the line, it's hard for me to stop using 'you'.

Back