Is vista upgrade the way to go on a new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I am going to try vista on another computer. I have read numerous articles on just getting the upgrade and using that instead of the full version. I have not read much about it lately and was wondering what people were doing. Please respond only if you have tried the upgrade process. Thanks.

Not unless you really need the elements of VISTA in your install. Otherwise, WXPP is a much better choice.
The upgrade limits you significantly when/if trouble comes later on. You lose the ability to run various repair functions.
VISTA upgrades have so far been substantially more trouble than other versions. If you want to make a wise choice, spend the extra mony for VISTA premium, but I remain convinced that WXPP is a much better choice.
Later on, sometime between November of 2007 and March of 2008, Microsoft will issue the Service Pack 1 Version. That will be the time to decide...
But even with SP1, I would not get an Upgrade version... because it is crippled in too many ways when fixes are necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back