Israeli double agent planted Stuxnet work using a memory stick

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new report from Richard Sale of ISSSource claims that the Stuxnet worm that crippled Iran’s nuclear program at the Natanz facility was planted by an Israeli “proxy”, essentially an Iranian that was working for Israel. The report further indicates that similar proxies have been used to assassinate scientists enlisted to help Iran build a nuclear program, although officials have said that the US never indulged in targeted killings.

The proxy was able to load the worm onto a memory stick and directly upload it to a system on the network. Once activated, it infiltrated the entire network and took over the necessary systems. The revealing information comes from current and former US intelligence officials who have asked to remain anonymous due to their proximity to ongoing investigations, according to the report.

If you are unfamiliar, Stuxnet was a computer worm created jointly by the United States and Israel designed to infiltrate and disrupt Iran’s nuclear program. The worm has been regarded as the most sophisticated every developed as it used 20 zero-day security exploits. It remained untraceable by all anti-virus software as well. It took security researchers several months to deconstruct, analyze and fully understand its purpose.

When the time was right, Stuxnet deployed its payload which only targeted Siemens supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems and other select systems. The goal of the attack was to damage the centrifuges used to enrich uranium for nuclear use.

Permalink to story.

I'm not the paranoid type but I have to wonder what would happen if the U.S. (or other) governments, in conjunction with Microsoft or Apple, decided to create a sophisticated and untraceable virus like this for it's citizens for some nefarious reason. Dystopian thinking I know, but we now know that it is certainly possible.

butch said:
I'm not the paranoid type but I have to wonder what would happen if the U.S. (or other) governments, in conjunction with Microsoft or Apple, decided to create a sophisticated and untraceable virus like this for it's citizens for some nefarious reason. Dystopian thinking I know, but we now know that it is certainly possible.
I've always suspected them of creating viruses. Just another way for them to bleed the population dry. And for that reason, I believe anti-virus software should not cast anything.

This is Amir and I am working in a governmental agency in Iran. I have to admit Stuxnet was never successful because Iranians are smart enough.
But, to be honest, US and Isreal showed that they could be tricky to their own citizen, Indeed.

Wish you best.

How to believe that Israelis have leaked both JMicron and RealTek Level3 code signing certificate without any help from VeriSign... That's why I call it BULLSHIT! This was a shared cyber attack and US government is #1 accuser.

No offence Amir. Smart or not, somehow I doubt it. Especially if it took security firms months.

It's probably still in your systems and you don't have a clue.

So judging by Amir's appearance here, is TS one of Iran's approved sites for their clean internet?

Or are the witch hunts still going on?

And when I say witch hunts, I am not using the term metaphorically...

As far as I know there is not any approved site except www.leader.ir
Try to not judge about everything you read, just read.

"How to believe that Israelis have leaked both JMicron and RealTek Level3 code signing certificate without any help from VeriSign... That's why I call it BULLSHIT! This was a shared cyber attack and US government is #1 accuser. "

You are right. But just missed not well known conspiracies such as Microsoft Windows OS Backdoors for NSA or How about Facebook backend access for Goverment agencies. Further How about DNS or DHCP or TCP/IP protocols and ICANN.

I dont Blame Iran looking their own Intranet in next year.

[FONT=Helvetica]You are right. But just missed not well known conspiracies such as Microsoft Windows OS Backdoors for NSA or How about Facebook backend access for Goverment agencies. Further How about DNS or DHCP or TCP/IP protocols and ICANN. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica]I dont Blame Iran looking their own Intranet in next year.[/FONT]

And Google is simply an angel as well as recently blocked www.virustotal.com service against Iranian IPs.I guess in their logic detecting malware may help Iranian to reach their nuclear weapon faster.
Mullahs have found that they can earn more money without sending out unnecessary net traffic, so they decided to create the infrastructure that were forgotten 20 years ago. That is a surprise when you find that with investment on such infrastructure you may have triple time more income. Who really cares what is going on... of course ... No one!

former US intelligence officials who have asked to remain anonymous

former US intelligence officials who have dreamed of becoming anonymous. FTFY.

Back