Issues booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My home computer was out of commission for quite some time, since April, in fact. I bought a new PSU (750 Watt) and new 24-pin motherboard that supports the CPU I chose. It supports my Q6600 and RAM modules and everything is plugged in correctly. However when I boot up, my system lights flash on and the fans all spin for half a second and then everything stops. Any further attempts to power on the system doesn't even cause the lights or fans to power on for a split second, which I assume is my motherboard or PSU preventing me from frying my system by cutting off power entirely (I read about this feature somewhere in one of the manuals for the PSU or mobo). My computer does not make any beeps of any form.

Essentially, I am unable to get to POST. I have tried several other power supplies and none of them work. I was told by a teacher a few years ago that some computer parts deteriorate over time if they're not used and I'm wondering if this is just a wives tale of the PC world or if it's legitimate. Do you guys think it's the RAM or CPU that's not working? I have tried other motherboards as well so I don't think the PSU or mobo are defective.

Could possibly be a dead CMOS battery- unlikely if the board is new.
Next I would try to clear CMOS:

clear cmos

Remove power from the system.
Hit the power button to discharge the capacitors.
Move the CCMOS jumper to the clear position- or reset with CMOS button if the board has one
Remove the battery from the motherboard.
Do something else for an hour.
Replace the battery.
Place the jumper back in the normal position.
Restore power and boot up immediately into BIOS.
Select "Load Optimized Defaults" and set the recommended voltage for your RAM
Save & exit.

It could also be a short. You can eliminate this by assembling the basics of the system out of the case (on top of the motherboards anti-static bag and box):
Make sure you are doing the antistatic protection thing.
I usually keep the PSU plugged in at the wall but turned off so that the PSU is grounding the chassis-touching any unpainted surface occasionally will discharge any anti-static buildup.
Ideally the PSU should be checked first-you need a voltmeter for that though- you can effect a quick check if the PSU seems faulty
Disassemble the system -remove power connectors, cards, cables
Remove the motherboard from the chassis and check that you have no "extra" motherboard standoffs connecting the back of the mobo
Visual check of board for burnt/severed traces, blown capacitors, and whether the cooler is definitely seated correctly. If all good the remove the cooler and cpu
Check socket for bent or broken pins-if you check from all angles any bent/broken pins should be apparent. If you have keen eyesight then check the gold contact pads on the underside of the CPU- they should have slight indentations/scuffs from making contact with the socket pins. All good then...
Reassemble outside of chassis with bare essentials for POST
-CPU
-Cooler
-Graphics
-1 stick RAM
-keyboard (pref PS/2 esp. for older boards)
-connect GPU to monitor
Power up. If no POST then recheck with remaining RAM
Retest with remaining RAM sticks.

This is a basic guide for preliminary troubleshooting.

Your next post should ideally include your motherboard and RAM manufacturers and models, unless your next post is entited "thanks guys, I'm up and running"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back