Issues with graphics/video

bellodee

hi everyone
lots of problems not sure if all are related - any help would be appreciated.
When I power up my pc the screen starts out blank.
To get it to work I have to hibernate and then when it resumes I have a screen that works.
I have radeon x600 series graphics card that came with the machine and windows xp.
is there any other info that I should post.

Thanks

Bellodee

First of all please give us your system's complete specs including PSU make/model.

How do you hibernate if it start with blank screen? I am guessing here with that you mean that system is not posting/booting. So please clarify that.

When did this problem started happening?

Please ensure that your system is dust free.

Thanks.
When I start it does boot up but then the screen goes blank. I hibernate it by pressing a button on the keyboard and then when I bring it out of hibernation the screen becomes visible.
I'm afraid I dont know the spec for the psu. I will open the machine and post the info. At the same time I will make sure that it is dust free. It is a Fujitsu Siemens model P5GD1- FM.

I have attached the system spec( without the PSU make and model yet) - is that the info required - I am a novice and not too sure.

Attachments

• system info.txt
    826 bytes · Views: 8
Please download CPUZ from here, and install/run it, then save its output by going into About tab, you can save it either in HTML format or in TXT format, and attach the resulting file with your next post.

If you try to boot in safe mode, does system goes blank as well? Or if you haven't tried booting into safe mode please do so, you can do this by pressing and holding (for few seconds) F8 once the system has completed POST (i.e. Power On Self Test). A menu will appear which will give you several options including booting in safe mode.

I have tried booting in safe mode and the screen does appear when I do that.
Please also find attached the requested file. I have called it Family report. I have not had a chance to open the pc. Will do that over the weekend.
Thanks

Attachments

• FAMILY report.txt
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
If the screen does appear in safe mode, and windows complete the booting process, I suspect that the issue may not be related to hardware.

By the way I still need you to answer my question about when did your computer started doing this.

Anyway, to start with, uninstall your ATI graphic card driver, then download Driver Sweeper from Techspot's download section, install/run it to clean out any remaining driver files. Then reboot your system, and see whether the screen blanks out again or not. Kindly do keep this in mind that troubleshooting this may take bit of patience/time. Regards

I'm sorry about the delay in replying.
I'm afraid the problem is a long standing one. It must be about 8 or 9 months ago that it started. I cannot remember that I did anything in particular that started it. The kids share the computer to visit games sites for young children and I thought it was malware and I did a malware clean (my 1st or 2nd post to the forum) but it has remained since then.

I have done as you suggested and uninstalled ATI card driver and used river sweeper and the problem remains.

I appreciate that trying to sort this out is going to take time and I am grateful for your help. The pc is still useable so I'm not in a rush and at the moment I just try to avoiud switching it off - I just hibernate it. Thanks

You are most welcome, if you have tried to boot in safe mode, and the problem remained as I suggested, then there is greater probability that may be it is something with your display hardware.

As your board supports an PCI-Express x16 slot, you will be in luck in case you choose to replace it, however, I'd suggest not to choose something expensive, as this computer is reasonably old and doesn't justify having a mid-range or high end card. Regards

Thanks. I have to confess my ignorance here. Is it the graphics card that I need to replace or something else. As you said the pc is getting on and I will hopefully replace it in the not too distant future but if I can get it working again I can let the kids use it and keep the replacement for myself.

I think simple replacement of graphic card would be sufficient, however, before i suggest anything for that, kindly reply to my question:

Does your PC replicate this behavior if you boot it in safe mode?

Hello, I'm afraid it does replicate the behaviour in safe mode although the symptoms are not identical. When I boot in safe mode the screen resolution I get is different and it does not allow me to correct the screen settings. I get a an 800 by 600 screen, The other problems are the same in that I have to attempt hibernation to get the screen to come alive.

Please download furmark, and run it for as long as you can after installation, it is a graphic card stress test utility, it should give us clear idea whether your graphic card is failing or not. Don't forget to download appropriate version for your OS, and then report back with results.

Hi there ,
i am sorry for the delay in posting back. I have tried running furmark and i have been unsuccessful. Initially I got an error message saying it could not run and subsequently any time I tried to run it thre screen went blank. i did not make a record of the error message. I will try and reproduce and post the error message. Thankyou

Back