Issues with my DVD-ROM?

LoneSword

Okay, I'm really confused about this one. Normally it's just little technical things that I just need help chewing through, but this one has me stumped.

Just before posting this, I had burned an .iso to a DVD using Cyberlink's Power2Go perfectly fine, no problems. But I realized that I instead needed a CD rather than a DVD for my purposes. So I went back to burn the same .iso to the CD instead of the DVD. But when I went to run the burn, after barely getting to 1%, it ejected the disc and said "An unknown error occurred." This is when I suddenly remembered that I'd had this problem in the past, and despite being able to burn CD's perfectly fine before that (I'd previously wrote three CDs not even two weeks prior), it now won't work at all with the program.

Then I attempted to use MagicISO to do what P2G couldn't deliver, but when I enter the "Burn to CD/DVD" window, it says "No CD-R/RW disc in." And now I'm totally befuddled here. Windows autoruns the CD perfectly fine, giving me the usual array of options, so there's no problem with my drive detecting it. As I said before, it runs everything normal, and even burns DVDs, but suddenly can't do it with a CD-R all of a sudden. Help! I need to get these discs made!

EDIT: Should probably mention I'm running on an Asus laptop, too. Not sure if that'll help.

Could still ultimately be a hardware issue, i think but a couple software things you might try

Open Device Manager, uninstall the CD drive and reboot. It will reinstall itself and test.

Also see if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post] (note there's also some MS Fixits in those MS links if might apply)

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. But I have something else to add. Just a moment ago, I installed ImgBurn to my computer, and attempted to run the burn again. Of course, it failed, but it gave me this message:

I/O Error!

Device [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L SR04 (E: ) (SATA)

CDB: 2A 00 FF F FF 6A 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: -150 - -119

Reason: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Not sure what that all means, but I hope it helps lead closer to the right answer...

Back