It's National Day of Unplugging, but could you go without your devices for 24 hours?

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: You might not realize it, but today is National Day of Unplugging, a movement in which we’re encouraged to take a 24-hour break from technology and connect with ourselves, loved ones, and communities. But for many people, it’s easier said than done.

Most of us rely on technology these days, particularly when it comes to work. In many professions, disconnecting from all devices is an impossibility. And even if your job is possible without a computer, people rely on their phones, laptops, etc. when outside of working hours.

According to The National Day of Unplugging, we miss out on the important moments of our lives as we spend hours with our noses buried in devices. Instead of playing on a smartphone, it suggests reading a book, meditating, and taking some quality you time. It also suggests hosting an unplugged event, where participants can put their handsets in a “cell phone sleeping bag.” The website states that 112,000 people have already joined the movement.

While completely disconnecting for a day might be infeasible for most, cutting back on our online time could be beneficial. There have been numerous studies showing how using social media sites, especially Facebook, have been linked to anxiety, loneliness, addiction, and depression. I once tried deleting all my social media accounts for three weeks as an experiment, and at times it felt like coming off heroin (I also went back to them all).

A day without having to deal with depressing news, multiple notifications, low-battery anxiety, and annoying Facebook posts might sound good, but it’s unlikely that many people will disconnect for 24 hours. Could you do it, and if so, would you actually want to?

Permalink to story.

I already only keep necessary apps on my phone. Apps for work and transportation. I wouldn't be able to unplug on a weekday as I work from home, from my computer and I need my phone for work calls and texts. However, I can easily be without technology on my days off. I often leave my phone on airplane mode when I go out, I like forcing myself to be more social and engaged in conversation. I find I leave a much better impression with friends and new people I meet when I'm not constantly checking my phone.

Yep, In fact it wouldn't be the first time, I already hardly use my phone except for text messages. When I go on holiday I unplug then, And sometimes at the weekend just because. Like MaXtor I also work from home so can't unplug for the time I am working, But certainly can and sometimes do at other times.

I already only keep necessary apps on my phone. Apps for work and transportation. I wouldn't be able to unplug on a weekday as I work from home, from my computer and I need my phone for work calls and texts. However, I can easily be without technology on my days off. I often leave my phone on airplane mode when I go out, I like forcing myself to be more social and engaged in conversation. I find I leave a much better impression with friends and new people I meet when I'm not constantly checking my phone.
Almost the same here. Can't disconnect because of remote work, and I don't have many distracting apps on my phone.
Also, despite being a power-user and a big gamer, I could disconnect for a week. The only thing is that it would leave me for a bit to catch up on (like articles on TS) lol

"A day without having to deal with depressing news, multiple notifications, low-battery anxiety, and annoying Facebook posts might sound good, but it’s unlikely that many people will disconnect for 24 hours. Could you do it, and if so, would you actually want to?"

Speaking as someone who's never had a Farcebook / Twatter account, no 5000 fake online "friends", and can cross a road without requiring disability aids for non-disabled people not only is it the easiest thing to do, I'm left wondering exactly what all the fuss is about.

#1 Weren't we warned before that "unplugging days" are bad because when masses of people suddenly jump on the grid simultaneously it does harm to the infrastructure ie. possible brownouts or blackouts?

#2 I used approximately 25 different electrical devices before it was even 8AM this morning. You guys have your fun. I'm using my electricity.

Sitting here right now in fact with my laptop.

Speaking as someone who's never had a Farcebook / Twatter account, no 5000 fake online "friends", and can cross a road without requiring disability aids for non-disabled people not only is it the easiest thing to do, I'm left wondering exactly what all the fuss is about.
Yeah me too, I haven’t used my phone since last november except when I tried to activate the steam mobile authenticator (I gave up in like 30 minutes lol)

Sitting here right now in fact with my laptop.

You don't say? A device. We might have thought you were using smoke signals!

A bit ironic posting this article on "unplugging day" ya think?

Is unplugging even a thing? lol. As someone who grew up without "devices", this is trivial. I do have a game addiction (bingeing) at times, but I can disconnect when needed. I often go on trips for several days in a row where I don't even have cell service. I didn't even have my own cell phone until around 6-8 years ago. Everything in moderation!

"I once tried deleting all my social media accounts for three weeks as an experiment, and at times it felt like coming off heroin (I also went back to them all)."

Have you ever actually done heroin or are you just being hyperbolic? I can tell you from experience heroin is a biatch to get off of and not even remotely close to shutting off a few electronics.

I unplugged for two weeks when I was in the Maldives. Best two weeks of my life lol

I predate not just cell phones and personal computers but also the Internet. I spend no time on social networking although I do use one of the messenger programs. I was an adult before I got my first modem. That said, it would be really tough to go without a computer for more than a couple of days but I have plenty of books and a hobby that doesn't require any connected devices. Mobile phones are rapidly becoming more trouble than their worth..their TOO connected and everything about them is becoming harder to use and less practical by the year.

Could do my entire life. But I wont. Why the hell would I? Am I not a strong and independant person who has the will to do it any time and will when the need arises?
Short answer is yes/ I can. But I wont.

Back