It's now possible to run Windows 95 natively in your web browser

midian182

Staff member

For a lot of people, Windows 95 brings back some great memories. Microsoft’s 21-year-old operating system has already been imported onto some unlikely devices, including the Nintendo 3DS and an Android Wear smartwatch a couple of years ago. Now, thanks to some clever work from a developer, you can enjoy Windows 95 running in your web browser.

The project comes from nineteen-year-old student and “occasional programmer” Andrea Faulds, who used Emscripten, an emulator that converts C++ code to JavaScript in real-time, to get the OS to run almost any web browser.

There are no plugins, downloads, or special software required to try out the browser version of Windows 95. The emulator can take quite a while to load up, but once it does you’ll be hit with a wave of nostalgia upon hearing that Startup Chime.

You’ll probably find that things initially seem a bit unstable, and you may have a few problems with the mouse, but once everything’s up and moving it’s incredibly quick. All the old games such as Freecell, Mineseeper, Hearts and Solitaire work fine.

Faulds says that this impressive feat was achieved by installing Windows 95 OSR2 in DOSBox, then packaging up the disk image, along with an Autoexec.bat file and a custom dosbox.conf using Em-DOSBox.

“Really, all the hard work was done by the Emscripten, DOSBox and Em-DOSBox people,” said Scotland-based Faulds. “And, of course, the browser vendors and other people who have worked tirelessly to make the modern web platform what it is today. In the process of making this, I never once had to touch the DOSBox source code.”

There are, obviously, a few limitations with the emulator, such as Internet Explorer not working, but it’s still an excellent piece of programming, and seeing Windows 95 again really shows how far we have come in the last two decades.

Permalink to story.

What if I'm running Windows using remote desktop to access Windows running a browser running Windows?

WINDOWSCEPTION.

What if I'm running Windows using remote desktop to access Windows running a browser running Windows?

WINDOWSCEPTION.

Try this one. Win7 box a couple years ago. Installed Mac OS in a VM. Inside the Mac OS I installed parallels. Installed Window 7 inside parallels, inside the Mac OS, inside the VM running windows7.
I did get it to install, but for "some odd reason" is BSOD's on boot. My guess it is couldn't boot up, because it would have created a singularity. ;)

I still think Windows 98 would have been a more stable platform for him to use ...

Edge on the other hand is a different story. What's that phrase - "One step forward, two steps back"?
Precisely.
Love that 12 string.

A ton of time gets wasted doing things "because it can be done". You can skin XP with "Classic", in less than a couple of minutes. It then looks like Win '95, and runs like good old XP.... Same with Win 7. (IIRC)

Wow, you people seem to have very different experiences compared to me when it comes to IE to warrant such glib comments.
Glib, really? IE wasn't even safe to browse the web with until version 8, if then.
Yet, if I recall correctly, it was you who said using Windows XP was great, and it was unnecessary to upgrade to a later version of Windows. So much for security on an outdated OS, hey?
DSICLAIMER: I believe it was you, it was a while ago so I could be wrong to which I apologise if true, but looking at your last comment about XP above, I really do think it was you.
Anywho, not trying to get into a "my browser is better than your browser" argument. I am just content with something that shows me the interwebz and IE and now Edge does that very well. :)

Yet, if I recall correctly, it was you who said using Windows XP was great, and it was unnecessary to upgrade to a later version of Windows. So much for security on an outdated OS, hey?
Gosh, there's no need for you to agree with me or apologize. I simply don't care one way or the other what you think. :D I run XP on the web all day long without a problem. I don't know where you hang out on the net, but I cruise some nasty places. True, you can no longer download "M$ Security Essentials" for XP, but, that was fairly worthless anyway. It should have been called, "M$ False Sense of Security".

I don't really miss arguing with the "Windows 8 is great",crowd either. As near as I could tell, they thought Windows 8 was just super, after you bought after market software to make it look like Windows 7. Then there was the whole thing about how fast it booted if you had an SSD as the C:/ drive. And Windows Media Center, who needed that s***? Well, if you did, M$ would sell you that "app" back later.

Yepper, all you needed with Win 8's touch interface was VOIP, and it was like never having to shut your yap or hang up the phone.

So do enjoy Windows 10! Now available as a free suppository. (y)

Last edited:
Back