I've disabled my Computer Monitor Driver in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Computer:

Asus P5B motherboard
ViewSonic Monitor
Windows XP

I have been attempting to solve issues with my computer. I recently reinstalled windows XP and was working on installing my monitor driver and software and ran into problems. In trying to problem solve I did something pretty stupid. On Windows XP, right clicked on Desktop selected "properties", selecting the "Settings" tab I clicked on "Advanced". I selected the "monitor" tab and then selected "properties". Under "General" Tab, I moved down to my "Device usage" and "disabled" it and pressed "OK".

The problem I have now is I can't see anything (black) on my monitor when windows starts. I can see my Bios screens and the Windows Loading screen, but after windows loads and desktop should appear all I get is black.

How can I reverse what I've done and fix this?
Most Grateful for any help.

Try starting Windows in Safe Mode. If it starts, then you can re-enable it.

Thanks Mailpup.

I did try to start from Safe Mode, but when I did so, all I got were a list of what looked like windows commands in a DOS Screen...black with white text, but listing a series of boot commands...

Regardless, I reformatted my harddrive today, I will reinstall windows this evening and believe I should no longer have an issue with this problem.

I had just reformatted the hard drive before my monitor problem anyway, so I figured I might as well just do it again.

Thanks for the help

hello,

i've also accidentally disabled my computer's monitor driver while trying to tweak the resolution on my computer. i've just recently had it dumped by the geek squad and I was trying to get the resolution back to its proper functioning.

i'm no computer whiz so how would i be able to enable the driver once again, and like the creator of this post i am unable to start in safe mode, the screen appears completely black after the windows xp loading screen loads?

any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back