James Webb Space Telescope launch moved to Christmas Day

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: NASA said in a recent update that adverse weather conditions at Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana have prompted them to postpone the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope. Originally slated to take flight on December 24, the world’s largest space telescope will now shoot for a Christmas Day launch. When you're already several years behind schedule and billions of dollars over budget, what’s an extra day going to hurt?

If you’re in the states and want to watch the launch live, you’ll likely need to set an alarm. The new target launch window is between 12:20 p.m. and 12:52 p.m. Universal (UTC), which works out to 7:20 a.m. Eastern / 4:20 a.m. Pacific.

NASA and Arianespace said they’ve successfully completed the launch readiness review for the telescope, and have authorized the Ariane 5 to rollout and the start of launch sequencing. Another weather forecast will be issued this evening to determine if December 25 seems feasible or if another delay will be necessary.

NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) earlier this year announced the selection of the general observer programs for the scope’s first year of operation, known as Cycle 1. Approximately 6,000 hours of observing time were made available, with scientists from 44 countries applying for time.

For those curious, the full list of general observer programs selected is available online for further examination. Early targets include several objects in our own solar system as well as exoplanets and looks at distant galaxies.

Permalink to story.

I mean, thats great for enthusiasts, but now all those people gotta work Christmas day....
I am sure they are not the only ones who also have to work Christmas Day.

Back on topic, IMO, if they need to delay it any farther, they should.

Last edited:
They need to get it right the first time. They only have one shot and the orbit it will be placed in means there will not be any missions to fix anything if something goes wrong.

Patients is the key .... no need to rush, all those stars and galaxies aren't going anywhere anytime soon ......

Not everyone celebrates Christmas.
I know right? I celebrate "Crankmas" That's when I buy myself stuff because it's on sale, in the month or so prior to December 25th. Then because, I'm broke, exhausted, too lazy, and too cheap, to seek out a poor helpless conifer murdered in superstition's honor, ( the exhausted is mostly from annoying people here at Techspot), I retire to another machine for a relaxing session of seeking out "erotic art".

But don't think I leave, "our Savior" out of it. You'll often hear me blurt out in joyful amazement, "jezzus, look at the k*****es on that one". Or, "I'd like to see her slide down my chimney backwards".

So, I know y'all are thinking, "on top of all of Cranky's other faults, he's a perv and a heathen as well".

In spite of, or perhaps because of, all of that, I wish all of you, a "Merry Christmas". (**)

(**)
(Whether you celebrate it or not)

Last edited:
I know right? I celebrate "Crankmas" That's when I buy myself stuff because it's on sale, in the month or so prior to December 25th. Then because, I'm broke, exhausted, too lazy, and too cheap, to seek out a poor helpless conifer murdered in superstition's honor, ( the exhausted is mostly from annoying people here at Techspot), I retire to another machine for a relaxing session of seeking out "erotic art".

But don't think I leave, "our Savior" out of it. You'll often hear me blurt out in joyful amazement, "jezzus, look at the k*****es on that one". Or, "I'd like to see her slide down my chimney backwards".

So, I know y'all are thinking, "on top of all of Cranky's other faults, he's a perv and a heathen as well".

In spite of, or perhaps because of, all of that, I wish all of you, a "Merry Christmas". (**)

(**)
(Whether you celebrate it or not)
🤣 Cheers, Captain. Even if you are not celebrating the Myth, or is that Legend, of it "Merry Christmas".

🤣 Cheers, Captain. Even if you are not celebrating the Myth, or is that Legend, of it "Merry Christmas".
I was planning on PMing you the non-denominational, "have a wonderful; December 25th, later this evening. But, you beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
Back