Java thinks it is installed, but it isn't, preventing installation - WinXP Pro SP3

turkishharem

Hello. I've spent the last month reading topics and getting help with some malware removal. I am seriously impressed with the detailed instructions and knowledge. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me in similar fashion.​
I am working on my neighbor's boss' laptop as a helpful service. While updating the software as part of the final step to the malware removal assistance that I received (https://www.techspot.com/community/...4-sirefef-a-and-win32-atraps-pf.182986/page-3), I ran a Java uninstaller called JavaRa as recommended by Broni, the TechSpot malware annihilator that helped me.​
I ran JavaRa and it appeared to delete all Java versions. I went to the Java site and reinstalled the latest version. The installation process appeared to conclude successfully, but the Java version checker doesn't recognize any version of Java installed. I ran JavaRa again to try and start from scratch, but the exact same thing happened - installation appeared to be successful but the Java site does not recognize any version of Java as being installed. Java applets are showing up as empty boxes wtih a small red X in the upper left corner.​
I decided to take a different tack and follow the uninstall directions from the Java site, which indicates that uninstallation should take place from the "Add/Remove Programs" section of Control Panel. In the Add/Remove list, the previous version of Java (Java 6 Update 29) was listed as still having been installed. I tried uninstalling it, but the uninstallation process returned a fatal error.​
The program list also shows the latest version of Java (Java 7 Update 5), so I tried uninstalling that also. Unfortunately, that process also returns a fatal error.​
I also tried running JavaRa to uninstall old versions again to see if that would help. The JavaRa log file shows that it isn't finding any old versions of Java.​
At this point, I'm stumped. I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge about this can help me get Java properly installed on this machine so I can return it and be done with my pro bono IT assistance.​
The laptop runs Windows XP Pro SP3. I'm not sure what additional information might be needed, but I'm happy to provide anything that would be helpful.​

Go to hhtp:// www.FileHippo.com You should be able to download the latest java from there. I had the same problem with all three of my computers on java site. This site is safe . Hope this helps. As far as java still showing in your add and remove. It will show even if it was removed due to it was remove by a different program not the add and remove in windows.

Thanks for the suggestion, Cobalt.

I went to FileHippo.com and downloaded Java Runtime Environment 1.7.0.5 (32-bit). Before I got anywhere in the installation process, I received an error stating that "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

Simple enough - I'll just go and uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs window. I see three instances of Java installed - Java 6 Update 29, Java 7 Update 5, and JavaFX 2.1.1.

Uninstalling JavaFX 2.1.1 went smoothly.
Attempting to uninstall Java 6 Update 29 yields a fatal error.
Attempting to uninstall Java 7 Update 5 yields a fatal error.

Java thinks that it is installed, as evidenced by the message that I get when I try to install the latest version. Unfortunately, I can not clean the laptop enough to let me just reinstall Java and move on. Still looking for ideas, suggestions, and help.

Try the trial version of this Revo. You can get it at http:// www.revouninstaller.com This will help you remove the java install. I have a feeling they were corrupted. The first time you tried to uninstall them . Hope this works for you.

If you were in driving distance, I'd buy you a drink! That tool did the trick - a forced uninstall and registry clean of the previous Java installations. That, in turn, allowed me to perform a fresh install, which I've verified with a number of Java version checkers online.

Problem solved. Much appreciation, Cobalt! *hi5*

A note for the 'next' time:
The problem was that you ran Java Ra before you did the update. That removes all Java entries from the system except the current new version. So basically you didn't have a Java to update.

Your instructions should have had you do the update first, then run Java Ra to remove old entries. I don't usually run Java Ra if the is one or two old entries> just uninstall them in Add/Remove.

Your repeated runs of Java Ra kept uninstalling any Java you had left on the system . Then the uninstaller was damaged and you couldn't use Add/Remove Programs.

The current version of Java is v7u5. And with that update/download, you also got JavaFX. That was okay to have left. Java has finally started overwriting the immediate previous version so you should be okay on your update from now on.

Note: Did you check the Java download screen and see their 'offer' to put the AskBar on the system? If you did not uncheck it, you should uninstall any Ask entries in Add/Remove Programs, close down their toolbars and stop the Ask update service. Let me know if you need help with that.

Home update site for Java is:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6463-java-se.html

Back