Jeff Bezos tried to bring Satya Nadella to Amazon over a decade ago

midian182

Staff member

In the time since Satya Nadella replaced Steve Ballmer as Microsoft boss in 2014, the company has experienced a resurgence that’s seen its market value rise by $250 billion. But things could have turned out differently if Amazon chief Jeff Bezos had got his way.

In an extensive profile of Nadella by Fast Company’s Harry McCracken, the CEO’s old manager at Microsoft — Doug Burgum — reveals that Bezos attempted to convince Nadella to join him at Amazon more than a decade ago.

“Early on, Jeff Bezos was trying to recruit him [Nadella],” said Burgum, who is now governor of North Dakota. “It was my job to re-recruit him.”

Burgum managed to get Nadella to stay by assuring him that Microsoft offered more opportunities than a mere online bookseller; a fairly accurate description of Amazon before it expanded into one of the largest companies in the world.

“I was wrong about my characterization of Amazon,” Burgum added. “But I was right about convincing Satya to stay.”

As head of Microsoft’s former Business Solutions Group, Burgum had been preparing Nadella to become his successor, but Steve Ballmer wanted him to run the engineering arm of Windows Live Search, which went on to become Bing. After later heading Microsoft’s Server & Tools Group, Nadella took over from Ballmer as the company's leader in February 2014.

Despite being business rivals, it seems that Bezos and Nadella still retain a mutual respect. The pair recently joined forces to allow their smart assistants — Alexa and Cortana — to access each other’s unique skills. Bezos reportedly first suggested the idea of a collaboration to Nadella at Microsoft’s CEO Summit in May 2016.

Permalink to story.

"the company has experienced a resurgence that’s seen its market value rise by $250 billion".

The only way it could have done any worse was either to keep Ballmer on as CEO or hire Dopey, Sleepy, Bashful, Grumpy, Happy, Doc and Sneezy from Snow White & the seven dwarfs to run it and I'm confident they would've done a better job than Ballmer.

Imagine, you go to lunch with your Amazon Fire HD thinking you'd do a little reading while you eat. You unlock the the Fire HD and it tells you it needs to restart to install an update. It finishes installing the update at around 4PM, far too late to be useful to you today. And maybe now Wifi doesn't work any more. And it reset your default browser.

Thank goodness that didn't happen.

Imagine, you go to lunch with your Amazon Fire HD thinking you'd do a little reading while you eat. You unlock the the Fire HD and it tells you it needs to restart to install an update. It finishes installing the update at around 4PM, far too late to be useful to you today. And maybe now Wifi doesn't work any more. And it reset your default browser.

Thank goodness that didn't happen.
I'm not a Nadella fan but he wasn't CEO when all that stuff went down.

Back