Jelly Bean installed on 33 percent of active Android devices

Dave LeClair

Google has pushed out the latest Android OS version survey and it appears the install base of Jelly Bean is growing at an impressive rate, as it's finally getting close to move past Gingerbread as the most installed revision of the operating system.

Jelly Bean, which includes Android 4.1 and 4.2, is now installed on 33 percent of all devices. Of that split, 4.1 makes up 29 percent and 4.2 is bringing up the rear with 4 percent of the installations. Of course, 4.2 is only offered on a small number of phones and tablets, so the lower install base makes sense.

jelly bean android gingerbread android 4.0

Gingerbread still sits atop the throne, holding 36.5 percent between all its different variations. That figure remains high because many budget devices come with this version installed, but the rise in Jelly Bean indicates that users are moving towards higher-end models.

Ice Cream Sandwich is installed on 25.6 percent of devices, a two percent drop compared to last month. Other versions including Froyo, Eclair and Donut only account for 4.8 percent of the total Android userbase.

With Android 4.1 and 4.2 growing almost 5 percent month to month, it's highly likely that we'll see move past Gingerbread in the next month or two and become the most used version of the mobile OS. That is, of course, if it's able to keep its current rate of growth.

Permalink to story.

I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini) and have no idea what version of Android it uses but as long as it does what it's supposed to, I don't care.

I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini) and have no idea what version of Android it uses but as long as it does what it's supposed to, I don't care.

I have the same phone, bought last month and it has 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. I'm really happy with it.

I have the same phone, bought last month and it has 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. I'm really happy with it.
It just goes to show you don't need the biggest, baddest & most expensive phone to be happy. I'm happy with mine too.

I was a total sell out and bought a Galaxy S4. It's shipped with version 4.2.2

Skidmarksdeluxe: you don't know what version you have, because you have Samsung TouchWiz. That's one of the many bad things about it - it looks the same across all versions. :(

My cheap tablet has 4.1.1. It said on the box :) and I like to know what Android version it is because I'm relatively new to this particular OS, and it helps when looking up How-To info and asking for support.

My cheap tablet has 4.1.1. It said on the box :) and I like to know what Android version it is because I'm relatively new to this particular OS, and it helps when looking up How-To info and asking for support.
Settings > About (at bottom)

Installed yesterday on my galaxy s2, wish I hadn't, half my apps have disappeared, (including playstore), & my phone's a complete mess. desperately trying to find a method of 'rollback'

Back