Job listing suggests Amazon is aiming to bring ad-supported, free-to-view TV to Prime

Polycount

Staff
Why it matters: Amazon's Prime Video service has always been mostly ad-free, with the company relying on various subscription-based models to generate revenue. However, a recent UK job ad makes it clear that Amazon's media ambitious don't end there - the company seems to be looking into free-to-view, ad-supported TV streaming.

It's no secret that modern video streaming platforms are popular. Former cable subscribers are increasingly moving towards platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu due to the convenience and value they offer.

However, not all video streaming platforms are created equally. For users who want a completely ad-free experience, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix are their best bet (though Hulu does offer a semi-commercial-free subscription for $12/month).

With that said, Amazon may be looking to shake things up soon. As reported by TechCrunch, the Amazon job ad references a job title named "Head of Free to Air TV & Advertising," suggesting that the company could be interested in creating a free, ad-supported TV experience of some sort.

"...This individual will be responsible for widening the content range with the development of free and advertising-funded channels."

"Channels have launched in US, UK and Germany and this is a new and fast-growing area within Prime Video," The job ad states. "As part of this expansion we are seeking a senior leader to join the European Channels & Sports team, based in London. This individual will be responsible for widening the content range with the development of free and advertising-funded channels."

More recently, after news outlets began to pick up the information, Amazon reworded the job title to "Head of Prime Video Channels Free To Air TV & Advertising TV Partner Channels." When Amazon was asked to comment on the matter, the retail giant changed the title yet again, to "Head of Prime Video Partner Channels."

As TechCrunch notes, the most recent title change eliminates all reference to TV and advertising, so Amazon is clearly trying to keep this news under-wraps. Whether that's because they want to prevent their competitors from stealing the idea, or because they fear users will take the information the wrong way is unclear.

Regardless, it certainly sounds like ad-supported, free-to-view content will be coming to Amazon Prime in the future, which could further strengthen the company's position in the video streaming market.

Permalink to story.

I would really love for one of the big competitors to add TV streaming into their package, that would be the ultimate cable-cutter move.

All they need to do is decrease commercial time and add more content time, and people will use it over TV. Then of course, more and more people are getting used to watching content without any commercials at all. I don't see any of these group being interested in this deal. Occasionally, I watch TV in gym. Oh how horrendous it looks, the amount of commercials I mean. I haven't had TV for many years and I just refuse to "sell" my time in return to free content.

All they need to do is decrease commercial time and add more content time, and people will use it over TV. Then of course, more and more people are getting used to watching content without any commercials at all. I don't see any of these group being interested in this deal. Occasionally, I watch TV in gym. Oh how horrendous it looks, the amount of commercials I mean. I haven't had TV for many years and I just refuse to "sell" my time in return to free content.
30 minute tv shows, USE to be 26 minutes, now, most are LESS than 20 minutes.
What I'd like to see, is $1.99 universal remote controls with only a mute button!

That would stop you from ruining that mute button on the factory remote, and deal with the endless strings of commercials.

Oh yeah, and make it unlawful to use the Statue of Liberty in commercial gain.

Those "Liberty Mutual Insurance" ads, in front of Lady Liberty are brutal. And endless string of demographic stereotypes, huckstering optional at extra cost "benefits", with Ellis island in the background, are abusive, no way of getting around it.

Appropriating the Statue of Liberty as your corporate logo, should be classified a a felony, and a federal offense at that.

latest

Now that I've gotten myself all worked up, I'm not sure if I could withstand Amazon advertising through the commercial segments. After all, when the ad for the individual product has completed, they'll probably blast you with one of their "frequently bought together" trailers, then send you an email, asking you to take a survey about the commercial.

Something like, "having seen the ad for 'Poopsy Daisy' adult diapers, how likely would you be to buy a gross of them"?

Last edited:
Amazon channels are add-on subscriptions to the standard Prime subscription. Free channels don't mean that Amazon Prime Video will become free, just that there will be channels which don't cost money to view.

It's possible that such channels would be made freely available outside of Prime, but I don't think that's a necessary interpretation. I think it's more likely that people will still need Prime to access these channels, they just won't need to pay more.

And this batman is part of the reason I barely watch tv after 2010, nothing but ads especially on bad tv shows.

I have 2 shows that are still on commercial tv that I still watch. Once those are finished, I'm done with commercial TV.
The "mute" letters are worn off of the remote control on my tv I've pressed it so many times.
Other than Amazon Prime, and the old GOOD shows on MeTV etc, I don't bother with the network shows. Even new ones that look promising I don't even bother with. Too d*mn many commercials. Maybe they should make a 30 minute commercial, and interrupt it with a 10 minute tv show. That's about what it is anymore. Plus, the "old" tv series use to be 36 shows a year, now it's around 22-23 per year. The rest are reruns, or those silly "awards" shows.

Back