Judge temporarily stops Trump ban on TikTok downloads

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? TikTok has been granted a temporary reprieve against a ban that would have seen it removed from US Android and iOS stores. The app filed for a preliminary injunction last week, following a similar successful move by WeChat.

Judge Carl Nichols of United States District Court for the District of Columbia temporarily blocked the TikTok ban shortly before it was due to come into effect on September 27. While this would have removed TikTok from Google's and Apple's stores, the app would have continued to work on devices where it was previously downloaded. The company argued that such a move would be a violation of the First and Fifth Amendments.

"We're pleased that the court agreed with our legal arguments and issued an injunction preventing the implementation of the TikTok app ban," it said in a statement.

Judge Nichols declined to stop the broader set of restrictions coming into effect on November 12 that will stop American companies from doing business with TikTok, effectively killing the app in the US.

Hours before Judge Nichols' decision, a group of TikTok influencers who have almost 7 million followers between them had their legal move to stop the ban rejected by a court in Pennsylvania. Doug Marland, Cosette Rinab, and Alec Chambers argued that access to the app was essential to their livelihoods.

Earlier this month, WeChat's ban was temporarily blocked following a petition from a group of users, citing "serious questions" about whether it was a first amendment violation.

TikTok says that the Trump administration has agreed in principle to its deal with Oracle and Walmart that would create a new, US-based company called TikTok Global, with the app hosted from US servers. But coming to an agreement that satisfies both Washington's security concerns and Beijing's demands isn't proving easy. ByteDance claims it will retain 80 percent ownership, while Oracle says ByteDance will have "no ownership" of the new company.

Permalink to story.

Apparently there must be some judges in high positions who actually understand the constitutional limits of the executive branch and have decided to do their job.

Just screaming “national security interest” is not carte blanche for a president to do whatever nonsense he wants to do.

Considering we’ve lost more than 200,000 American lives and the economy is in the toilet, I would expect that my government would have more important battles to fight than TikTok and WeChat

Thank You.

The battle against the PRC's insidious infiltration of US apps and social media platforms is an important battle to fight. Which is why Democrat Chuck Schumer (Senate Minority Leader, and no friend to Trump) sent letters to the Armed Services committee last year, to warn them against allowing service members to use TikTok, even on their personal phones/devices.

Other nations such as India have already banned TikTok, and China's PRC has yet to explain either why they fund such platforms, or why it would be a "national security concern" for foreign partners to see TikTok's source code. If the PRC wasn't blocking companies like Microsoft or Oracle from real partnerships with TikTok, there would be no issue, and this story wouldn't even exist.

Apparently there must be some judges in high positions who actually understand the constitutional limits of the executive branch and have decided to do their job.

Just screaming “national security interest” is not carte blanche for a president to do whatever nonsense he wants to do.

Considering we’ve lost more than 200,000 American lives and the economy is in the toilet, I would expect that my government would have more important battles to fight than TikTok and WeChat

Thank You.

Not to worry ..... now they have a new challenge of how best to cover up the tax problems that were unveiled this weekend! And regardless of Trumps claims, the New York Times has a solid track record on reporting ..... I don't always agree with their editorials, but their reporting is spot on ......

Not to worry ..... now they have a new challenge of how best to cover up the tax problems that were unveiled this weekend!
Tax problem? Your analysis is incorrect. Trump paid very little in taxes in 2017 because he made very little money. Proof positive he's not using his position to enrich himself. That stands in sharp contrast to many other politicians I can name (including one running for president now), who go into office poor, and accumulate assets that are many times larger than their salaries can explain.

Not to worry ..... now they have a new challenge of how best to cover up the tax problems that were unveiled this weekend! And regardless of Trumps claims, the New York Times has a solid track record on reporting ..... I don't always agree with their editorials, but their reporting is spot on ......

The tax code has been intentionally convoluted and slanted to benefit the rich.

The IRS has intentionally stopped auditing the rich.

Almost $30,000,000,000,000 in debt for a reason.

The IRS has intentionally stopped auditing the rich.
I'm unsure why you make statements such as this. In 2019 (tax year 2018), the IRS audited 1.2% of all tax returns. For those making $10M or more, their audit rate was 8.1%, several times higher. This rate will likely rise further, as high-income returns often are not audited for three or four years after filing:

IRS Newsroom: Update on audits.

OH MY GOD.... wow 1.2%???
You misread my post. 8.1% of high earners were audited within a year of filing. The total rate will likely double as audits proceed, to about 15%, meaning that "the rich" are actually being audited at some 25 times the frequency of middle-class earners. For the exhaustive field-level audits, the rate is more than 100X higher.

The second part of your statement is likewise false, I.e. that the U.S. is in debt because IRS tax collections are down. In fact, total tax revenue has increased every year for the last three years. Our debt is increasing because federal spending is rising even faster.

You misread my post. 8.1% of high earners were audited within a year of filing. The total rate will likely double as audits proceed, to about 15%, meaning that "the rich" are actually being audited at some 25 times the frequency of middle-class earners. For the exhaustive field-level audits, the rate is more than 100X higher.

The second part of your statement is likewise false, I.e. that the U.S. is in debt because IRS tax collections are down. In fact, total tax revenue has increased every year for the last three years. Our debt is increasing because federal spending is rising even faster.

Ooooooooo 8.1%?

I think my heart just stopped

Thank You.

I disagree, china uses data mined from accessing our devices for all sorts of things. They want corporations to install these apps so they can steal data

Tax problem? Your analysis is incorrect. Trump paid very little in taxes in 2017 because he made very little money. Proof positive he's not using his position to enrich himself. That stands in sharp contrast to many other politicians I can name (including one running for president now), who go into office poor, and accumulate assets that are many times larger than their salaries can explain.

HAHAHAHAHAHA ....... you can live in that silly dream world but having lived in NYC I heard the facts from far too many people ..... enjoy!

Its ironic that a Chinese company in bed with the Chinese Communist Government is crying about freedom of speech/expression and due process DON'T EVEN GIVE THOSE RIGHTS TO THE CHINESE PEOPLE (The chinese Govt). Its sickening that so many people stand up for a pos company like this.

Back