Just 10-20% of Intel's tablet chips end up in Windows devices

Scorpus

Staff member

During a conference call following the release of Intel's first-quarter financial results, CEO Brian Krzanich revealed that out of the five million tablet-specific processors the company shipped, 80 to 90 percent of them ended up in Android devices, leaving just 10-20% for Windows tablets.

With Intel shipping only 1 million tablet processors for Windows devices (at best) in Q1 2014, it's not looking good for Microsoft. The company has been pushing Windows 8 and 8.1 tablets since late 2012, but it seems most people in the market for Windows devices are opting for more traditional machines or 2-in-1s instead, which aren't counted in Intel's tablet processor shipments.

On the other hand, Intel are continuing to see modest success in the Android space. Most Android tablet manufacturers are still choosing Qualcomm, Nvidia and other SoCs for use in their devices, but some companies - such as Samsung with the Galaxy Tab 3 line - are opting for Intel's chips instead. Combined, these Intel-powered Android devices are outshipping their Windows counterparts four-to-one.

Intel aren't content with shipping just five million tablet processors in the one quarter: the company is aiming to ship 40 million across the entirety of 2014. To do so, Intel will allocate more cash to the incentives it hands out to manufacturers in the hope of attracting more sales.

For the first quarter of 2014, Intel posted revenue of $7.94 billion, which is down from the $8.54 billion it posted through the same period last year.

Permalink to story.

The PC division is shrinking and Intel has to expand and revamp their mobile CPU line extensively to stay competitive. The first step in this process: get rid of the Atom name since people associate it with slow netbooks... this is a huge flaw on Intel's part.

I'm not interested in who makes the SoC's for my mobile devices just as long as I get the best bang for my buck. My desktop PC? Now that's a different question.

The PC division is shrinking and Intel has to expand and revamp their mobile CPU line extensively to stay competitive. The first step in this process: get rid of the Atom name since people associate it with slow netbooks... this is a huge flaw on Intel's part.
I was under the impression that the Atom branding has been dropped in favour of Pentium.

I am actually really interested in a Windows Tablet. However, I'm holding out till Q3-Q4 in hopes of getting my hands on one with the new Intel chips.
Hopefully this doesn't mean that windows tablets will die out by then due to bad sales.

For me personally, justifying the purchase of a android tablet is not going to happen. For sure not a high end version, I already have a android phone. I'd much rather have a Windows tablet (non-RT) to be able to play actual PC games on the go.

For the first quarter of 2014, Intel posted revenue of $7.94 billion, which is down from the $8.54 billion it posted through the same period last year

Revenue was 12.76B, up from 12.58B for the same period last year. 7.94B is for the PC Client group alone, and even here you managed to post the wrong number. Last years number was 8.054B, you're off by only half a billion dollar...
Why is this so hard to get right? It's not like the information is hard to find.

Beyond the Android/Windows spilt on tablet, the other interesting factoid for Intels financials is that the volume for the PC Client group actually increased compared to last year(asp is down, of course), which is of course impossible since we have been told repeatedly for months now that pc shipments would continue to drop in 2014.

For the first quarter of 2014, Intel posted revenue of $7.94 billion, which is down from the $8.54 billion it posted through the same period last year

Revenue was 12.76B, up from 12.58B for the same period last year. 7.94B is for the PC Client group alone, and even here you managed to post the wrong number. Last years number was 8.054B, you're off by only half a billion dollar...
Why is this so hard to get right? It's not like the information is hard to find.

Beyond the Android/Windows spilt on tablet, the other interesting factoid for Intels financials is that the volume for the PC Client group actually increased compared to last year(asp is down, of course), which is of course impossible since we have been told repeatedly for months now that pc shipments would continue to drop in 2014.
Maybe they are taking some of the AMD share of the PC market?

Back