Just 5,000 Essential phones have been sold since launch?

midian182

Staff member

There was a lot of excitement when Andy Rubin officially revealed his Essential smartphone. This was, after all, the same man co-founded Android, so people were expecting something special. But while it’s certainly a solid performer, the handset doesn’t exactly stand out from the crowd, and not every review has been glowing.

Some critics took issue with the Essential’s software and the quality of its camera, and not everyone was a fan of the design, but it still boasts an impressive specs list. It’s far from a poor device; it just didn’t live up to the hype and isn’t quite as 'essential' as Rubin hoped. What is surprising, however, is that only 5000 of the phones have been sold through Sprint since it launched in the US, according to a report from BayStreet Research.

Sprint is the exclusive carrier for the Essential phone, offering it as part of a no money down, 18-month deal. And while the 5000-unit figure is an estimate, it will still be very disappointing for the company; a drop in the ocean, considering there are 2 billion Android handsets in use worldwide. The number doesn’t cover sales of unlocked units, but it’s hard to imagine they're much better, if not worse.

The constant delays may have damped people’s enthusiasm for the Essential phone, and while its modularity was pushed as a killer feature, similar concepts from the likes of Google and LG never caught on — though Motorola has kept faith in its modular add-ons with the Moto Z phones.

Despite the depressing news, Essential has the resources to turn things around. The company achieved unicorn status last month when it was valued at over $1 billion, all before shipping a single phone. And Andy Rubin’s presence will always be an asset. Plus, the company is set to launch its second product, a smart home assistant, sometime in the future.

Permalink to story.

So it was essentially a failure. It is almost impossible to compete with the phone corporations today, newcomers are literally stomped on.

So it was essentially a failure. It is almost impossible to compete with the phone corporations today, newcomers are literally stomped on.
Might help if they offered anything of value.

What did the "essential" phone offer that nobody else did? It was just another wannabe flagship with nothing to sell it apart from "it isnt one of the big guys".

If the "essential" came with a removable battery, or used a ROM that was community supported and updates so we has an assurance that it would actually get updates, then maybe we could get somewhere.

The dominant players and the dominant devices have sucked all the air (interest) out of the echo chamber.

It doesn't have a gimmick to get people to buy it. It is as bland as some mid range Motorola with less bezels.

Sprint is the exclusive carrier for the Essential phone
And why would consider a phone that has an exclusive carrier not supported in my area? I'd have no option but to buy the phone outright. I'm not even sure the phone would work with my carrier. Which by the way as far as I know is the only carrier that is supported in my area.

Essential to me for a phone means basic, or essential necessities of a phone to make phone calls... call me stupid, uneducated or dumb, whatever... but I chalk this up to poor marketing. Why would I want a phone that can only do essential necessities? lol I know this is stupid, but still... I just think "Essential" was not a good branding.

Back