Just about sick of this problem - ATI bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey people.

Now, i know theres probably alot of threads on this topic already, but this problem is a little different to what people have been describing.
I just helped my friend build his computer, and i recommended all the pieces, and put it all together, installed everything, etc. Anyway, about 20-30 minutes into a game, it'll crash to the bsod. Here's the interesting bit.
I used to have an ati card myself, and it would do the exact same thing with every game i played. My friends on the other hand, so far its only doing it on NFS - Undercover and the latest Prince of Persia. My hypothesis is: the game loads into the ram, but somehow or another the ati drivers do something crazy and stop unused data from being discarded out of the ram, so it fills up the ram, then the pagefile, then crashes to bsod. Thats my theory. If anyone has any idea of what the hell is going on here, it'll be greatly appreciated. Here's his pc's specs:

case - nzxt tempest
psu - antec truepower quattro 850w
mobo - asus m4a79 deluxe
cpu - amd phenom 2 940 am2+ 3.0ghz
ram - corsair ddr2 2x2gb 1066mhz (model no. AL-TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF)
graphics - gigabyte hd4890
hhd - seagate barracuda 1.5tb 7200.11
os - windows vista ultimate x64 sp1

I came to that hypothesis because when i had my ati card, depending on the amount of ram the game used, greatly factored how long it would take to crash to bsod.

I've been looking around, and so far i've found these theories of how to fix it:
1. ati drivers werent tested properly on 64-bit vista
2. the latest CCC drivers screw up big-time
3. its dodgy memory

There's alot more i could list, but they're just a load of crap. i'm pretty damn sure its not the memory, since we played crysis warhead on it for 2 hours straight. It could be the CCC, but i dont think it is, if it was i think it'd be more of a driver problem then anything else, which means uninstalling CCC won't make a difference. I'm really thinking it's a vista 64-bit problem, but i cant find out until he brings the comptuer back over to my house. So does anyone think they know whats going on here? I'm not a junior in computer repair, i've built and repaired plenty of laptops and computers to know what i'm doing, but i've never needed to use a debug program, so i might need some insight into how to do that if anyone needs a debug report or whatever.
Again, thanks.

It possibly could be heat since you bring up it only happens during gaming; ventilation in both of your systems good? Also I'd Google the BSOD errors and possibly post them here to further evaluate the problem because it may not be the drivers at all.

ahaha, trust me mate, its not heat.
and i dont see how posting the other errors will help, i made this post because this porblem was different to all the rest.

The errors may contain vital information that will lead to the solution; certain error codes can show it is heat or a dysfunctional part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back