Just got a new gaming laptop w/ Win 10

EClyde

My how I dislike that OS. 10 won't let me change my default apps. It just changes them right back. Seems a common issue from my searches. When I turn on WIFI it decides I need to downolad this and this and O yea this too. I know there are fixes for much that ails Win 10 but there is no fix for the fools in Redmond. They remind me of politicians and other government employees always coming out with new regulations that are no good and of no value

If you really don't want windows 10 to install updates automatically for you or at all.
Go to your control panel, change the view settings to small icons, click on administrative tools.
Next click on services.exe, carefully look for windows update service, highlight it, right click it then choose properties.

A window box will open, look at the start up settings for it, choose disabled first, then click on stop services.
Click apply then ok and close out the window box, that will stop windows 10 os from eaching out and grabbing any updates you really do need and don't.
Be sure to check over windows 10 forum and read about the updates microsoft gives out.
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/
Stay away from any new beta or alpha state testing of windows 10, unless you like having to reformat because of a screw up on redmonds behalf.

If you don't have windows 10 anniversary update yet start off with that and then disable windows update for good.
Malware/Antivirus/Spyware system programs may retoggle windows update back on so be sure to configure it.
Tell the suite through the configuration setup to leave well enough alone and not ask you to turn on windows update.

If microsoft has a hot patch aka hot-fix for your os due todays infections like wanna-cry, zero day or worms.
Look through windows update list it will download, highlight the update and read the details before installing.
I've been doing this ever since windows 10 became officially released, since ms doesn't want to fix whatever problems right away.
Off it will stay until microsoft officially confirms it is fixed and not causing more problems elsewhere withother uses confirming that..

Back