Just ordered!

Ja1984selena

i just ordered a visiontek HD 6770 graphics card and a corsair cx430 psu, and i want to know, will 430watts be enough to power the video card? should i install it myself or pay a computer technician to install it for me and also will this video card be good enough to play grand theft auto 4 because i been wanting to play it ever since i bought it awhile ago.

I'm still learning about graphics and cards, but I can tell you right now that if you hire someone to install it for you, you need to step and stay far, far away from any computer, lol. Seriously, a monkey can install a graphics card. Especially since it comes with instructions :p

You can install it yourself pretty easily. Check out a video on youtube with someone doing it and you'll suddenly be an expert too.

As far as the PSU, you probably do need to upgrade it. I suspect you'll be able to boot up just fine, and maybe even play some games as is. But it is going to REALLY tax that PSU, and its likely you'll kill it. When a PSU dies it can be deadly for other components connected to it.

The minimum requirements for that card is 400 watts. I am in full agreement with SNGX1275. Corsair make great power supplies but I'd have nothing less that 500-550.

We would need your full system specs before any accurate prediction could be made on PSU requirements. Depending on your CPU, number of drives, etc. you may or may not want to upgrade. The card only draws around 75w itself so if your system has a midlevel CPU, a normal (1-2 HDDs, 1-2 ODDs) number of drives, and no other cards/peripherals with high power draw you should be ok.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 comes up with 341W with that configuration and a HD6770 so you should be fine; I set everything to 100% usage/maximum power draw when performing the calculation so you will generally use less than the calculated amount, however even at maximum draw you still have 25% headroom to the power supply's 430W max rating.

Back