K8N-E & Installing SATA drivers, which one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I actually have two questions. The SATA one first:

I have a WD 200gb SATA Hard drive that is going to be the sole primary drive in my system. I've heard everyone say you have to hit F6 to load the drivers when XP prompts you. That's fine but there seems to be two choices of drivers when I went to make a floppy disk.

There is a Sil3114 section which contains:
si3114r.cat
si3114r.inf
si3114r.mpd
si3114r.sys
SIISUPP.VXD
SIWinAcc.sys
Txtsetup.oem

There is also an option to "make f6 disk", doing so gives me a floppy with:

idecoi.dll
nvata.cat
nvatabus.inf
NvAtaBus.sys
nvcoi.dll
nvide.nvu
nvraid.cat
nvraid.inf
nvraid.sys
nvraidco.dll
nvuide.exe
txtsetup.oem

So I made two floppys of the above choices, which one do I use for a Single SATA drive?!

My second question is that since the only IDE device I have now is my DVD/CD-ROM drive do I just make this sole optical drive the master and install it to the Primary IDE connection on the motherboard? Before the IDE harddrive would take primary and I would make the optical drive secondary, but using a SATA HD this isn't the case.

Actually, if you aren't going to use RAID. Then you do not even need a floppy. I have the K8N-E Deluxe, and WindowsXP installed to my WD SATA drive.

There are 6 SATA connectors on that board, 4 of them are at the bottom and are intended for RAID. 2 are close to the middle of the board. Plug the drive into one of those 2 and you can install WindowsXP without needing to load any SATA drivers. So in otherwords, you DO NOT NEED to press F6.

And yes, you can/should connect your optical drive to primary ide.

Thanks

Actually I found out your advice on my own since I had not received a reply before I was ready to hook it all up, but the F6 option went by so quickly I didn't react fast enough to hit it, and everything installed just fine as you explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back