Kansas is sitting on $10 million in unused computer hardware

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Facepalm: The inefficiency of the government strikes again as officials in Kansas have essentially blown millions in taxpayer dollars on a failed IT project. The hope is that something useful can be done with the unused hardware before Father Time renders it obsolete.

Kansas officials are looking to offload nearly $10 million in unused computer hardware after the state decided to go in a different direction to fulfill its IT needs.

The state purchased the hardware in 2016 in hopes of building a centralized storage system. Before the project could get off the ground, however, IT officials canceled the endeavor due to cost concerns and contracted with a third party for storage needs. The hardware has been sitting unused at the Docking State Office Building in Topeka ever since.

According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, the state allocated $17 million for the project before bailing. The publication notes that there’s about $2 million still owed on the project.

The state administration is attempting to negotiate with a university to either donate or sell the hardware at a steep discount.

Even if the state can only get pennies on the dollar for the hardware, it’d be better to do so and recoup some of its losses than to let the gear go unused until it becomes fully obsolete. Kansas has attempted to offload the hardware before but was unable to attract any bidders.

Either way, perhaps it’ll serve as a learning lesson. Sen. Caryn Tyson, R-Parker, said, “We keep changing our IT philosophy as a state. Knee-jerk reactions. We need an overall picture to understand the direction the state needs to go.”

Image courtesy spixel via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I wonder what the story really is.

We have all bought equipment with a purpose in mind which then does not pan out. The lessons I learned were:
- never buy equipment in expectation of a pending upgrade or update which makes it vastly more suitable for the purpose (pending can be forever)
- unless you are compensated for the effort, never be 'first' - be 'second' and see it work somewhere else first
- do not rely on any 'claims', if it is important confirm it works in real time

Any one else?

I wonder what the story really is.

We have all bought equipment with a purpose in mind which then does not pan out. The lessons I learned were:
- never buy equipment in expectation of a pending upgrade or update which makes it vastly more suitable for the purpose (pending can be forever)
- unless you are compensated for the effort, never be 'first' - be 'second' and see it work somewhere else first
- do not rely on any 'claims', if it is important confirm it works in real time

Any one else?

I agree with this. One has to wonder why it cost 10 mill to create a "centralized storage system" and why it was that it was needed? What could of been the purpose? Generally, Kansas seems to be a state where right-leaning ideas and policy making are first instututed to see how well their recived. Wonder if it was abandoned due to the political climate changing? Our state is already massively in debt, this is just another egregious breach of fiscal responsibility. Hope an investigation opens up, is like to know the purpose.

Honestly clicked on this hoping to pick up a nice graphics card or SSD for cheap... was disappointed to see its just abuse of taxpayer money and no goodies for sale.

I agree with this. One has to wonder why it cost 10 mill to create a "centralized storage system" and why it was that it was needed? What could of been the purpose? Generally, Kansas seems to be a state where right-leaning ideas and policy making are first instututed to see how well their recived. Wonder if it was abandoned due to the political climate changing? Our state is already massively in debt, this is just another egregious breach of fiscal responsibility. Hope an investigation opens up, is like to know the purpose.
No one told Kansas that the cloud was more cost effective than building your own server/storage farm from scratch.

I'm wondering if this equipment is better than the equipment currently being used by the state. Everyone knows how old the states equipment usually is.

[/QUOTE]
No one told Kansas that the cloud was more cost effective than building your own server/storage farm from scratch.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they were having doubts about how secure "the cloud" really is and wanted everything under their own control instead of a third party.

Hey Kansas city, can you send me some of unused ssd drives. I am a kind of a game hoarder: I install them but don't play and don't like to delete them because I then proceed to feel like playing those. Please send me some terabyte or bigger ssd drives. I will be happy to pay 80 dollars per drive.
Sincerely,
Concerned citizen who wants to help you fix your mistakes.

Back