Keep old hard drive?

Alexexex

Hi guys, just wondering...
I'm planning to buy a new computer and am wondering if I need to buy a new hard drive, or if I could just use my current one for the meantime. The extra cash would be better used elsewhere... Anyways, I just wasn't sure if it would work, since there will suddenly be new hardware it doesn't recognize and all.

Thank you for you responses.

Your new build is almost certainly going to have a SATA controller.
Is your current drive a SATA drive?
It would be easier to give specific and correct answers,
if we had more complete information about your build (and any current equipment you will retain).
At the very least, your drive could be housed in a USB enclosure and used as external back-up.

Its just my seagate barracuda 250 GB just like in my system chart. So, yeah its SATA and that's all I really want to reuse. Well.... actually am I able to reuse my graphics card too? I want to use a AM3 motherboard, which is AMD.

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Aw..... that's a disappointment, I might as well buy a new hard drive with all that hassle of backing up.
Hmm.... what about SLI 9600 gso on an AMD chipset? Is that possible?

I would suggest for a new computer to get a new drive, you can likely use the drive with the new computer without problems but the longer the drive lasts the more likely there can be a possible failure of it, and i would personaly get a new drive for it if your getting all new stuff for the new comp. If your scrapping and pulling parts from other computers i woudlnt really worry about it to much then and use the old drive.

In case you want to keep your old HDD, maybe you should look into an external USB-bay, 250GB might come in handy... The new rig, however, is likely to support better/newer HDD's than your old drive, and thus you might want to consider buying a new HDD altogether.

Back