Keyboard gone crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ31M laptop and have unexpectedly encountered a problem.

Out of nowhere my keyboard has gone crazy. The top line seems to be fine but characters in the bottom two lines, including symbols, are not being generated properly.

eg. I press 'a' it comes out 'x' etc. In some cases it is coming out with double letters, eg., 'd' generates 'ad'.

The problem came on very suddenly and I can't work out what is causing it. It's not num lock or keyboard layout or any of the obvious things. Do you think this sounds like a hardware issue (I'm thinking liquid spillage into the keyboard, though I do not recall doing this) or some kind of virus/malfunction?

I'd really appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Sounds like a failed membrane...laptop KB's are very tricky to fix due to their small size, try an external USB keyboard and see if that does the same

same problem here

i have a toshiba sateillite L30 about five keys arnt workin including the return and delete key,a usb keyboard works i am just wondering would it be fixable or would the laptop be worth looking at

Hi

its not polite to hijack someone elses thread...

apologise nicely here and then go and post your query in the correct section of the forum please.

sorry was new and was saying i had the same problem with a different type of laptop didnt think it was a big problem to add to a question which was asked:evil:

For the Sony, fairly common problem on some models. Remove and reseat all the plugs and sockets. You can get at the entire keyboard, by removing 10 screws from the bottom of the laptop when turned upside down... make notes on where they came from, because they are about four different sizes you may forget when it comes time to reassemble.
While the keyboard is removedl, clean thoroughly with a can of difluoroethane gas, or Dust Off.

i had the same problem with a different type of laptop:

what i was saying was that if you have an issue, then opening your own thread with the problem is better than jumping into an open discussion started by someone else..i didnt mean to sound rude in anyway, im just pointing out the correct way to use a forum such as this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back