Sony VAIO Keyboard is messed up

I put an SSD into an old Sony Vaio laptop (VPCEH3B1E) I had lying round and did a fresh install of Windows 7 from an official Windows 7 installation disc.

Intel Core i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz
4GB of RAM
500GB SSD
64-bit operating system
Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1

The laptop works fine, Windows update has run and installed all the updates but the keyboard is unusable.

I've been looking for a solution for a while and I've checked that it's not a Num Lock issue, also the keyboard has the correct region/language settings. I've even removed the keyboard driver and let windows reinstall it. But still the keyboard is doing some crazy stuff.

Using Microsoft Word I've managed to figure out some of what the keys are doing. Have a little look at the list and see for yourself.

Some of the problems I have are as follows:

q prints q
w prints ws and opens Help for whatever I happen to be in at the time (Windows Help & Support from the desktop and Word Help in Word etc)
e prints e
r prints r
t prints t
y prints y
u prints u
I prints I
o prints o
p prints p
a prints da (if pressed on the desktop it opens a windows search function)
s prints ws and opens help (same as when I press w)
d prints da
f opens "Find & Replace" in Word
g prints g
h opens "Spelling & Grammar" check in Word
j seems to be a text selection function in Word

I'd like to point out this is not a problem with MS Word. It doesn't matter what I'm using the keyboard for, I get the same results.

That's not even all of the keys and their wonderful functions.

I've had the laptop completely apart, cleaned all the connections with PCB cleaner. Dismantled the entire keyboard, cleaned it and reassembled it and the problem persists.

Plugging in an external keyboard via USB works just fine.

Anyone have any other ideas or should I just thrown it in the bin?

I don't know if this helps, but my desktop Microsoft keyboard has the same problem with W/D/etc. - if I hold W and D then try pressing E, it doesn't register. This is nothing new to computer keyboards, since it's a side-effect of how the internal matrix wiring works, according to what I've read.

However, you're issue with the arrow keys is certainly unusual - arrow keys are usually independent from the alphanumeric keys, and on my HP laptop and my desktop I can hold all arrow keys and type letters without problems.

Back