Keyboard misbehaving

Hello,
I've been having a problem with my keyboard for several weeks now. When I type, it occassionaly puts in additional letters from the bottom line, I.e., most frequently x, but also v, c and z.

It started on a Sharkoon Purewriter mechanical keyboard (red switches, six months old). I replaced the keyboard (now, Modecom Volcano mechanical keyboard, brown switches) and the cord, started to use a different USB port, but the problem persists. I type quite a lot, on average 30k characters a day, and it happens like 1-2 times per 5k chars. It is not really possible that this is due to my typos, as the errors occur in words where my fingers are not even close to the bottom line, like "are" which comes out as "axre", or "like" -> "xlike". I tend to believe that this is not a keyboard problem, but something else, since two different devices behave identically.

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any ideas, thanks in advance,

Mal

PS.
My computer specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 Krait Gaming
Radeon 580
SSD M.2 Patriot Hellfire 240GB
Seagate Ironwolf SATA 600 2T
Win 10 64bit

Seems this is the kind of problem some folks have, but most never do. It happens too infrequently to really troubleshoot (1 character of 5,000).

I would experiment with the most likely of the unlikely issues - software, drivers, registry. You have two fine keyboards and I expect you have the most current software for them. I would start by making a full backup - then I would remove the software (Office, Word, etc) and the drivers by uninstalling all keyboards in Device Manager (be sure to use View tab to remove 'hidden ones'). Power cycle the system and restart Windows. Microsoft will have provided basic driver for keyboard which it just 'discovered'. Install your current keyboard driver if there is one from the keyboard maker and install your editing software.

Cross your fingers.

Back