Keyboard ignored at XP Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

af1hs

After removing Windows Defender from my XP SP2 machine, the keyboard is completely ignored when the Windows log-on screen is requesting my password.
Not being able to log on also stops me from using any Start/Run command. Although the BIOS is allowing to boot from the installation CD, it will not boot. I can start up in Safe Mode (and the keyboard works OK here), I cannot get anywhere without going back through the log-on screen. I've also tried another PS2 keyboard as well as a new USB keyboard with the same results. The WIndows+U command won't work because I have to be in Windows first!

I managed to get to a DOS prompt by using an old Win98 boot-up disk and I can read my hard-drive files as well as the installation CD but any executables on the CD say that they must run using Windows.

I've been working on this for almost two weeks and would appreciate some ideas of what I can do.

Thanks in advance!

Keyboard errors... Ew. I have do deal with it often but im on a vista. Refresh my memory: Does XP have a OSK.exe (on screen keyboard?)

If you can get to Safe Mode
Just go to Users in Control Panel and remove your password (from all accounts)
Then restart to Normal Mode, and once logged in, allow Windows to install the Keyboard driver automatically

By the way, in Safe Mode you can also run : Control UserPasswords2 from a Start Run box, and allow automatic login (but make sure to remove all User passwords first)

Keyboard errors... Ew. I have do deal with it often but im on a vista. Refresh my memory: Does XP have a OSK.exe (on screen keyboard?)

Yes, it's activated by the "Windows Key + U" combination but I have to be in Windows first to get there :mad:

I need to be able to get into Windows first before I can get to the Control Panel. Same thing goes for getting to a Start Run box. That's the problem. If I could get to these items without going through the Windows log-on screen, I'd be able to get somewhere with this. Thanks anyways!!

Keyboard Inoperable at Windows Logon Screen (XP)

I can get to Safe Mode fine (where the keyboard works OK) but all the Safe Mode choices bring me to a Windows log-on screen as the final step. The Home Repair option also won't work because I can't get the installation CD to boot even though the BIOS is set up to boot first from the CD. I also tried changing the boot order (floppy first) and that didn't make any difference either.
About the only thing I can do is boot from a Win98 floppy and look at the HD files as well as the CD files.

Well before downloading "The Ultimate BootCD" (not exactly a 98 boot floppy)

Go back to Safe Mode, and try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del which normally (I know keyboard's faulty or something) brings up the Login script (Strange I know)

Just tried that - it just reboots. The key board is not faulty while in Safe Mode or while in a Win98 bootup mode. It's only ignored during Windows Logon. Tried another PS/2 keyboard as well as a brand new USB keyboard and samo samo.

BTW, I already tried the Ultimate BootCD - it didn't boot :-((

The CD was always bootable before this problem occurred. It's an ASUS CRW-5224A ATAPI/Enhanced IDE drive.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=7176
ASUS CRW-5224A will automatically reduce the maximum writing speed (52x) when it detects lower quality media for burning. There is no way to overpass this. Other manufacturers (Plextor, Yamaha, and Sony) offer the option to write all media at the maximum speed by disabling the media check quality system. Despite a possible argument of some users, ASUS doesn't support this
Hmm, it doesn't sound all the good
I'd detach it, to see if keyboard miraculously comes back
Or get another drive

Finally making some headway!! I detached the CD drive and although the keyboard did not return, I can now boot from the CD when I put it into the DVD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back