Keyboard keys are intermitantly stuck or not working

My ASUS EEE PC laptop keyboard has gone crazy. A few months ago I noticed that keys were getting stuck randomly, typing all Cs or colons or commas. I could usually clear this problem with the delete key and the problem would stop for a while during the session but it would eventually come back.

Then a few weeks later I notice that some of the keys would not work at all. Again this was random as some days certain keys wouldn't work and then other day they would start working again. Recently many of the keys completely stopped working.

A couple days ago eith one key either sticks or the whole keyboard won't work.

I have tried using canned air, popping keys off and cleaning them and even resetting the ribbon. I have now attached a USB keyboard and disabled the notebook keyboard and this is working but it is a bit of a hassle.

Perhaps I am jumping the gun on this one, but it sounds like this is a permanent hardware issue that will require either a new keyboard or mobo.

Have you tried going into device manager and completely uninstalling the drivers for the built in keyboard, then restarting?

Thanks for the reply. My laptop has a cool feature which totally reinstalls MS Windows XP which I have done twice.

Oh wow. lol

The only other possible cost effective solution I can think of would be to buy a replacement keyboard and hope your mobo isn't to blame.

Hi,

I have the same problem. I'm thinking about buying a replacement keypad. Did you ever replace the keypad on your laptop? If so, did it work? Otherwise did anything else work to fix the problem?

I'd love to hear how you got on coz I really want to continue using my eee pc, great laptop.

Thank you
Martyn

Back