Keyboard/performance/video issues...

MO9999

Hi there,

[FONT=Arial]I’ve been having a ton of issues the last two months or so. The one that's the most in my face is messed up keyboard entry - I click on a field in IE or start to type in Word and it starts blinking like crazy until I finally hit escape. (In fact, right when I tried to type in this field, the cursor immediately jumped up to the address bar and took me to a different page.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Internet browsing is significantly slowed down. Trying to post the logs into this forum takes forEVER because a script keeps freezing my browser (and sometimes crashing it) after literally one character entry. It seems to have affected the loading of any semi-complicated page, such as Yahoo Mail.
I've tried to restart in Safe Mode, but it won’t let me – it goes to the prompt for a split-second and then the option disappears and it boots in normal mode.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Video crashes regularly, even just YouTube.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]And performance has slowed down significantly. I’m using a quadcore 3.7 CPU, with 1gb of video memory and 16gb of RAM, and about a year after I bought it (in August) it was like someone hit the brakes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Scans don’t seem to show anything, but my PC changed only all of a sudden one day. After a bunch of scans I re-formatted, but everything came back as soon as I had re-loaded all of my documents.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I first went to the Malware forum, but after a series of scans/diagnostics, they don’t feel I have a virus.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Any ideas? This is driving me crazy![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Thanks in advance![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I've tried to restart in Safe Mode, but it won’t let me – it goes to the prompt for a split-second and then the option disappears and it boots in normal mode.[/FONT]

Barring an improper shutdown, there are two ways to boot into safe mode that know of: tapping the "F8 key" just as Windows is about to boot -- which should prompt the "Windows Advanced Options" menu; and using the "MSCONFIG" utility. Have you tried both?

It may well let you boot into safe mode. You say you have already reformatted and every thing was fine till you loaded all your documents back. This maybe very well where the problem is. Your personal files . You may want to check them out

Okay, I will do that.

Dumb question, but what next? Do you suggest running the same scans in Safe Mode?

Yes if possible. Seems like maybe if you had a virus before you reformatted. That your personal files may still be infected. I say this only because when you move back on the computer , Your problems came back. If they are not infected then you may need to look into what else you are using such as software and so forth.

Hi, Can you say if the same problems happen when you are not connected to the 'net?
And the same if you are typing into Windows Notepad?
It might be worth uninstalling and re-installing the keyboard driver just to rule that out.

Hi there,

I used MSCONFIG to reboot in safe mode and did the many scans recommended by the malware forum. Nothing showed up, and once back in normal mode the problems cropped back up.

Before doing the scans I had also uninstalled the keyboard driver, as well as the video driver, and there was no difference.

I just don't know how to get rid of this problem! Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

I would try the suggestions of mike1959 and Cobalt006, first and foremost. It's best to rule out both a possible network connection problem and a faulty keyboard.

When was the last time you defragemented your disk drives? Have you checked the same for errors? Sometimes, a dying disk drive will slow to a crawl before finally giving out. [FONT=Calibri]You may want to check your drive's health after you've ruled out internet-related problems and a faulty keyboard.[/FONT][FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]

Also, have you checked Task Manager to see if any particular process is hogging resources?

Unfortunately I don't have a spare keyboard, but I purchased this computer almost exactly one year ago (with the keyboard), and there were zero issues before this August - literally overnight.

I just re-formatted my hard drive three weeks ago - I would assume that defragging is not necessary so soon?

As for Task Manager, I took a look and nothing looks too crazy, except for (maybe) Internet Explorer - I see 5 lines that all show iexplore.exe *32, and one of them is taking up 120mb. Maybe that's normal, maybe not. In any case, I've got 16gb of memory, so I don't see how that would affect performance too much...

Hi MO9999, If your system is only one year old then that should mean the keyboard is ok, but only swapping for another will prove it. Wires break and chips fail...it happens.
Can you try your keyboard in a different USB port?
Just tried I.E.9 with only Techspot site running, I don't see 5 lines for IE9 though, see my screenshot;

proc_Win7_32.jpg

Hi, Can you say if the same problems happen when you are not connected to the 'net?
And the same if you are typing into Windows Notepad?
It might be worth uninstalling and re-installing the keyboard driver just to rule that out.

As Mike1959 has ask. Is this only happening when you are on the IE9? If so I have seen IE9 do this when it was first released. Can you try another browser. Like Firefox and see if there is a change. This just a guess , It might be worth a try.

It's happening in Word and all other programs I've tried. Like I said, it's not just data entry - it gets seriously bogged down whenever there are any scripts as well, and video can crash everything. But the PC wigs out, even in Word.

I shouldn't have put keyboard in the title, because it's so much more than that...

Try running a scan disk on your hard drive. See if this helps. If not It may be running to hot. Try opening the case up and checking to see if their is a lot of dust build up, If so get a can of air and clean it out. These ar a few things I can think of that would bog down a computer.

Back