Keyboard problems on Dell Inspiron E1505

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have been having problems with my laptop keyboard (Dell Inspiron E1505).
Periodically the keys b,n, /, space bar, and 3 of 4 arrow keys stop working. Initially I thought the problem must be an obstruction or due to the keyboard, so I replaced the keyboard with a new one. The same problems occur, with the same keys. I have removed the keyboard a few times to check the connection of the keyboard to the laptop, but it has not improved.
From there, I looked around for other possibilities. I scanned my computer for any malware, viruses, etc with Ad-Aware, McAfee, Norton, but have not found anything. I tried to update the driver for the keyboard, but it is up to date. Is there anything else from software, windows, etc that could be causing the problem or is it due to hardware?
Thank you

Luckily, keyboards are cheap (er)... We have seen a number of problems with 1505 and related keyboards. Replacements are available on eBay for $14 to $26 with free shipping. They do go bad on nearly all laptops, but the 1505 has had a higher record of failure than most Dell laptops.

This was the first thing that I tried (ref initial post). Once the original keyboard first had problems, I purchased another. The second keyboard had identical problems to the first. Seeing as how the problem was the same (same keys, same frequency) I figured the problem wasnt the keyboard itself. When I mentioned software/hardware issue, I meant is this problem most likely due to issues with windows and/or configuration or due to issues with the motherboard and/or connection? The problem is not with the actual keyboard itself - the problem occurs with multiple keyboards, and is not due to debri, liquid, or defect.
Thank you

Holy moly. I expect you are not the only one with motherboard problems on a Inspiron E1505 then. There are an unusually large number of them for sale on eBay.
The 1500 series of Inspirons have LOTS of jack (connector problems) Dell charges $175 to fix 'em. The jack costs $6.00, but requires a cold solder device and somebody good at using it. There must be defects across the line of Inspiron 15xx based on the numbers that come into our shop.
I am sorry to report I cannot recommend a fix except to buy the socket or jack parts and have somebody good solder it (them) onto your system board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back