Keyboard usb switches not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to plug the storage USB device directly into a USB port on the computer, or buy an external powered USB hub, and plug the storage device into the powered hub

USB ports can supply power to the devices attached to them. However, the amount of power available directly from a USB port is limited. Things like large, hi-speed disks and CD/DVD drives require more power then can be supplied through the port.

(Did you have the external power supply attached to the drive when you plugged it into the keyboard?) Though a large, hi-speed device like that disk is best plugged in directly to a computer port, if you can.

Here is a picture of my keyboard

As you can see on the top right, there is a usb port

After plugging in my usb storage device ...

Then when i look back to my monitor, i get that error

Yes. Read the error message on your monitor. It is consistent with what i told you in my last post.

Your keyboard's USB port can't supply enough power to the USB device you just plugged in (i.e. your USB hard drive). The keyboard USB will only be able to support low-power USB devices (e.g. a USB memory stick or IPODs usually work off low powered connections)

And did you have the hard drive power supply connected and ON at the time you plugged it into the keyboard?

uhh im not sure what you meant, but my computer was turned on the time when i pluged in my usb if thats what you mean

no problem. but to be clear i'm not referring to your computer's power.

Your USB hard drive should have come with its own power cord. You plug one end into an electrical outlet and the other end plugs into a power connector on your USB hard drive. Was the USB hard drive's power cable connected and the drive turned on?

I don't think the OP is talking about an external hard drive. He said it was a 1GB storage device. That sounds like a flash drive to me.

I'm guessing that the cable distance from the keyboard and the USB port on your PC is too far and the power dropoff over that distance is causing the problem. By any chance are you using a USB cable extension?

Have you tried plugging your keyboard into different USB ports in your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back