Keylogging software

Dear all.

If I have Keylogging software on a virtual drive on a laptop, that I have downloaded, could it in any way, function against my will on the host W7 drive?

Thank you.

Olive.

Most antivirus companies have already added known keyloggers to their databases, making protecting against keyloggers no different from protecting against other types of malicious program: install an antivirus product and keep its database up to date. However, since most antivirus products classify keyloggers as potentially malicious, or potentially undesirable programs, users should ensure that their antivirus product will, with default settings, detect this type of malware. If not, then the product should be configured accordingly, to ensure protection against most common keyloggers.

Let’s take a closer look at the methods that can be used to protect against unknown keyloggers or a keylogger designed to target a specific system.

Since the chief purpose of keyloggers is to get confidential data (bank card numbers, passwords, etc.), the most logical ways to protect against unknown keyloggers are as follows:

1. using one-time passwords or two-step authentication,
  2. using a system with proactive protection designed to detect keylogging software,
  3. using a virtual keyboard.

Remember, a Key Logger is after passwords and the system, memory and HD locations are of no concern. They want a pair of related items:
  • an account
  • a password for access
Virtual or otherwise, you're in great trouble the the KL gets this access.

@AdrianG001 has your defense outlined above

Thanks to you both.
Jobeard, you actually answered the question that I had been meaning to ask for months (but I was too busy) which Adrian did not address. (As good as his reply was)

OK, The system is irrelevant. So you are saying, that if the KL is on one HardDrive, whatever drive/virtual drive I connect to attached to this compromised HD, the KL will still be active?
PS: Whilst I am here, the KL I had recorded my virtual keyboard. (I tested it as it was my KL but I did not necessarily trust the company I downloaded it from hence the original question)
Many thanks.
Olive.

So you are saying, that if the KL is on one HardDrive, whatever drive/virtual drive I connect to attached to this compromised HD, the KL will still be active?
Highly likely and I would be VERY nervous with a KL known to be present ...

Back