Laggy Performance Windows 7

333rob333

[CENTER]Hi

[CENTER]I am facing an issue I haven't found a problem since my new PC build, here is my PC specs, you might need it: https://www.sevenforums.com/members/333rob333.html[/CENTER]

Windows 7 itself is very laggy and I can't see why because I have a very beefy gaming PC (Please have a look at my system specs) and the installation file works well on two other computers. If I say laggy I mean for example it's not that quick to respond after I left it to idle for a while, I press the windows key and it lags for about 5 seconds (sometimes more) before the start menu comes up.I checked that Windows 7 is on "High Performance" mode instead of "Balanced", but nothing changed. This is very annoying, because this PC shouldn't lag even on the most high end games, now Windows 7 alone gets it to lag. I learned to get along with the slight lag on the PC, but then I started playing Battlefield 4 and the lag is so annoying that I can't kill someone, again... it lags, then it's better, but then lags again. My son's gaming build doesn't have that problem at all and he has a different PC build, but we used the same disc to install Windows 7.

There is however a few possibilities I can think of that's causing the problem: (Again, please check my system specs as I think this might be a hardware issue):
  1. The SSD is slower than other SSD's (but then again, it's still much faster than any other HDD)
  2. The CPU (Intel Xeon) is actually meant for servers (This could be a possibility, but it still is 3.5 GHz and has 4 cores and 8MB Cache)
  3. The HDD is Sata II and not the faster Sata III (The lagging is in the OS itself which isn't even installed on the HDD, but Battlefield 4 is however installed on the D drive)
  4. The Asus motherboard's BIOS is too focused on power saving

That's all I can think of what's causing the problem.
I will be trying a clean install of Windows 7, but as far as I remember, the situation was the same before the previous fresh install of the OS.
Please help me to fix this issue and feel free to contact me, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks everyone![/CENTER]

"The lagging is in the OS itself which isn't even installed on the HDD"
Windows 7 should be installed on the SSD otherwise it's not going to deliver any significant performance improvement.

Which antivirus did you install?
Try this sequence:
  • get a command prompt and enter
  • ping yahoo.com
  • then leave that window up and SLEEP the computer
  • wait until the system is fully inactive and awaken the system
  • as soon as you have mouse control, click on the command prompt window to ensure it's active
  • and PING YAHOO again
does it immediately start processing OR does it appear to stall

Which antivirus did you install?
Try this sequence:
  • get a command prompt and enter
  • ping yahoo.com
  • then leave that window up and SLEEP the computer
  • wait until the system is fully inactive and awaken the system
  • as soon as you have mouse control, click on the command prompt window to ensure it's active
  • and PING YAHOO again
does it immediately start processing OR does it appear to stall
I have AVG installed.

I just tried what you said, when the PC was fully inactive I moved the mouse and then the computer comes on for a while, then it reboots and windows recovery error screen pops up, I then choose to start Windows normally. According to me, it should not do this, correct?

I have AVG installed.

I just tried what you said, when the PC was fully inactive I moved the mouse and then the computer comes on for a while, then it reboots and windows recovery error screen pops up, I then choose to start Windows normally. According to me, it should not do this, correct?
Nasty - - should not occur!
UNINSTALL AVG and try it again

Nasty - - should not occur!
UNINSTALL AVG and try it again
What antivirus would you reccommend?
I uninstalled AVG, and I must say that it definitely looks better, thank you, BUT Battlefield 4 still lags, I installed it on my Sata II HDD. What must I do?

I'm running Avast! Free, but then I'm not a gamer ( laptops??).

FPS, ping rates for games are very sensitive to the server being overloaded. Try at various times and days of the week to see if that makes a difference.

I'm running Avast! Free, but then I'm not a gamer ( laptops??).

FPS, ping rates for games are very sensitive to the server being overloaded. Try at various times and days of the week to see if that makes a difference.
Me and my son is sitting in the same room and we have the same internet connection, he doesn't experience lag, but I think the Sata II HDD is too slow for a 80GB game, what do you think?

NAA. HD is seldomly the cause of this symptom. More likely you have a ton of junk installed and/or extra add-ons and extensions that he does not.

I would examine your system with an eye to "do I need this and when did I last use it?"
You can also defrag the HD, but will likely see no benefit UNLESS it's been ages since the last one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sata II HDD is too slow for a 80GB game, what do you think?
Let's verify that - - get the taskmgr running then the game
find the game in the Process Tab and look at Working Set (Memory)
80GB would show something like 85,899,345k

It might be a problem with the PAGESYS file being too small.

Computer->right-click->Properties
advanced tab-> first Settings button
go to the Advanced Tab and look at Virtual Memory

Instead of allowing System Managed between to numbers
set the SAME number as the Min & Max

The normal value is 2-3x the real memory installed
Mine is set to 6000MB (6 gb) where RAM is 4GB

You should be using something like 40GB imo.
You have to reboot to make the change effective.

I looked up your specs and had a couple of dumb questions...

"internet speed 4 mb"
- pretty slow - is it possible that the router is set up to give more bandwidth to one system over the other?

"OCZ-TRIO N100 SCSI Disk Device" is SATA 3
"Hitachi HUA721075KLA330 SCSI Disk Device " is SATA 2
- why is the listing ' SCSI ' ?

Let's verify that - - get the taskmgr running then the game
find the game in the Process Tab and look at Working Set (Memory)
80GB would show something like 85,899,345k

It might be a problem with the PAGESYS file being too small.

Computer->right-click->Properties
advanced tab-> first Settings button
go to the Advanced Tab and look at Virtual Memory

Instead of allowing System Managed between to numbers
set the SAME number as the Min & Max

The normal value is 2-3x the real memory installed
Mine is set to 6000MB (6 gb) where RAM is 4GB

You should be using something like 40GB imo.
You have to reboot to make the change effective.
I now see that it isn't the Hard Drive, I think something is corrupt in Windows 7, because I pressed the windows key after the PC was idling and the start menu pulled up after about 2 seconds, then I tried to type, then it said windows explorer has stopped working, I could physically hear the PC doing something when I tried to type, maybe it warmed up or something. Sorry, I don't know how to explain thoroughly.

I looked up your specs and had a couple of dumb questions...

"internet speed 4 mb"
- pretty slow - is it possible that the router is set up to give more bandwidth to one system over the other?

I used the program from sevenforums to list my specs, I don't know why it says that. Do you think that could be the problem?

You said that the situation was the same before you reinstalled Windows 7 so its corruption is not likely to be the problem.

Have you tried looking into forums concerned with running the game itself?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2390044/battlefield-fps-drop-stuttering-lag-fix.html
I have tried that, but it isn't Battlefield alone that is laggy, what bothers me is that the OS itself also is lagging along with other games. Don't you think that it could be a virus?

I'd say no as you reinstalled Windows but of course it's a possibility. I'd guess that it's something to do with your internet connection or a hardware issue. I haven't played games on a computer for years and they were not on line so I'm out of ideas. On line games must use a browser and plug ins so try changing those.

Last edited:
I'd say no as you reinstalled Windows but of course it's a possibility. I'd guess that it's something to do with your internet connection or a hardware issue. I haven't played games on a computer for years and they were not on line so I'm out of ideas. On line games must use a browser and plug ins so try changing those.
I think you misunderstood, or I typed wrong :)
The last reinstall was last year aroun November, since then I did a lot of torrenting, I didn't think it would be a big thing, but now you know.

I used the program from sevenforums to list my specs, I don't know why it says that. Do you think that could be the problem?

SCSI is for servers with large array of HDDs (like 6 or 12 of them). SATA is different; it is optimized for consumer with one or two drives. Why are these drives labelled "SCSI"? Is there a basic configuration issue here? Could your system be checking for 'missing drives' each time it accesses C: or D:? When you set up the system, did you set BIOS to SCSI and not SATA?

I am not expert in this stuff....I am merely observing that the HDDs which are SATA appear labelled as SCSI....and maybe an expert at ASUS support - or possibly the motherboard manual - could clarify this.

As you've been Torrenting it is worthwhile doing some intensive security scans. I've not used Torrents but the software works in the background so maybe maybe it can slow things down even without a virus. I'd be inclined to start again with a fresh install of Windows 7 and fully update it. That will take up a lot of time. Get the games working properly and worry about other things later.

Let's VERIFY the system
get a command prompt and enter RUNAS /USER:ADMINISTRATOR CMD and give the password
in the new window enter
SFC /SCANNOW
you may need an install disk to be mounted

Piriform's Speccy freeware will give you a summary of your system. It'll include the hard drives connection which Cycloid has spotted as showing up as SCSI.

Hello everyone

Thanks a lot for all your support and help! I have found what's causing the problem. It was malware in my PC. If you want my exact steps on how I fixed it, just let me know and I will gladly post it here! :)

Thanks again

Good for you (y)

Here's a tip when you need to dive deeply into systems - -
create a System Restore Point B E F O R E you start and when you're done, take another.
You'll be able to backup if you find things are fouled up.

Back