Laptop constantly dropping out

I know this is an old thread but I have found it because I was having problems with my laptop constantly dropping out (several time an hour) it would connect via ethernet no problem I followed the instructions as above ie the 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 . . . question: do I now need to go to googleping to verify these settings or is my laptop now "reset". Thanks in anticipation, it's great to be able get help like this! Martin.
forget to add isp is BT I am using homehub 4 on an Acer Aspire 64 bit windows 7 laptop is a little over 4 years old and the problem of drop outs has only become reallyserious over the past 2 to 4 weeks

Moderator note: Moved from this thread - https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connects-to-ethernet-but-not-wi-fi.187307/#post-1363198

These DNS settings are fine, but have NOTHING to do with dropping connections. These are only used to find the correct IP address when you open a webpage or send/receive email.

Thanks for your reply jobeard, I am seriously befuddled with this problem, I am no techie so look to others for help. we have another laptop which occasionally drops but is easy to reconnect, a desk top (which is ancient, about 8 yrs. old but rarely drops and soon recovers) mine quite often will not even show available connections and I end up having to reboot and even then more than once.

I have to add that for some reason the connection seems to drop more often when the laptop/internet is inactive for a short while, as long as I keep typing/ browsing it seems okay.

Acer Aspire 64 bit windows 7 laptop is a little over 4 years old
Have you applied all the MS Updates and have you looked for an update driver for your Eithernet NIC?

Updates are downloaded automatically, however I did do a manual download this afternoon, the drivers according to the properties are up to date. I wondered about uninstalling the driver, I didn't know if the laptop would give me the option to upload the latest driver when rebooted. Sorry if that seems too none technical I am still learning!

[quote="martin4180, post: 1363205, member: 339295"...the drivers according to the properties are up to date. I wondered about uninstalling the driver,..[/quote]not likely to help.

Like to ask, how broad is the symptom, ie: every website will drop or only few of your favorites? If you let google.com set on the screen without searching, does it drop too?

not likely to help.

Like to ask, how broad is the symptom, ie: every website will drop or only few of your favorites? If you let google.com set on the screen without searching, does it drop too?

I had not associated the drop out with any specific websites, the connection just goes completely, the icon in the system tray just gets a yellow flash across it, sometimes my homehub is not even shown as an available connection (sometimes no connections are shown) and all I can do is hit "troubleshoot" sometimes it resolves but quite often I have to reboot.

It is Atheros 4R5B93 (BT hUB4-83X2) . . . . I just discovered if I wait for the yellow "flash" to change to a red cross through the wifi symbol in the systems tray troubleshoot will (well it has for the past four times) reconnect.

That BT hUB4-83X2 is a modem+router for ADSL service - - it also supports
802.11 b/g/n (Hub 5 adds 802.11 a/c support). You might look for a firmware update for this device.

First suggestion is to ensure all other equipment attached to the phone line have the
dsl line filter installed - - inspect for worn wires.

Secondly, set the router to run G-Mode only and then perhaps get a copy of inSSIDer to inspect
the channels being used by your neighbors - - and then chose one that is least used.

Sorry, could you talk me through this please, I appreciate I am being a pain but I don't know how to run (or what) in G mode, I have googled inSSIDer and there is a free download from www.metageek.net/products/inssider
so I guess I can work that one out.
Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for your help all, I have managed to find an updated driver and that has to a large degree solved the problem but hopefully as a long term fix I have also bought a wireless network u s b adapter.

Back