Laptop crashes instantly upon boot

I have a satellite that I've been playing WoW on for some time now. A few months ago it completely stopped working and would make this "metal ball dropping" sound, which I assumed was the HD failing. A few days later it was working fine, though it was saying I had a media failure, but started up an ran.

Last night while playing WoW it crashed completely and when I power on, the fan starts, then it clicks and powers off. Absolutely nothing happens.

I assume the motherboard is bad? Or could the HD cause this?

I've already ordered a new laptop, but was hoping I could salvage this one.

Thanks for any advice!

you may be able to recover the hard drive, or your data, after your new system arrives.

i would suggest removing the hard-drive from the system,
then try to boot with your xp disk in the cd.

if you are able to get to the installation screens, then you know your hd was causing the problem.
If you are unable to get there, then you know that you have further problems than the hd.

The hd, can be checked by installing to a usb device (like a usb enclosure, which may or may not work) or more likely a device like apricorn's drive-wire! This will allow you to recover your data at least.

Check out LookingAround's tutorial here!
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic129757.html#post766270

Let us know the results of your efforts and we will go to the next step.

Usually, it is the hard drive failing. Othertimes, it is the power supply system... but not the system board.

Back