Laptop does not boot up, nor startup repair or safe mode

skippy22

Hello friends,
I have an asus laptop x551m model, that won't start up windows.
when I start up the computer I get a screen that says:

windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

on the screen I have two options- startup windows normally, or do a startup repair.
I tried the startup repair, and it didn't work, it just loads and then it get stuck on a black screen.
also tried the startup repair through a windows installation cd, it loads, but after I choose the "repair my computer" option, it get stuck on the blue windows background and nothing happens.

safe mode also won't load.
I tried to run mini windows xp with hirens cd, but got the bsod.
tried to boot with ubuntu, and it worked.

my question is why windows won't load?
I will be happy to get some suggestions.
thank you.

XP was a very long time ago and your laptop was pre-installed with Windows 8. You need to be sure what OS you have because the laptop should really have been upgraded to Windows 10 last year which was free. As it boots with Ubuntu it looks like your Windows installation may be damaged. Hopefully, you have been backing up important personal files to another source. If there were some problems prior to the failure to boot it would be useful to say what they were.

The laptop is installed with windows 7. I forgot to mention that.
there were no prior problems to the boot failure.

Make sure you have the Windows 7 authorization key and check you have a copy of the same version of Windows 7 that's installed on your laptop as your installation disk. The key should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. You said that you tried to use a disk for a repair without success. If the disk was the correct Microsoft Windows 7 install disk you only have the option to reinstall afresh. That will take a long time as there are loads of updates so a disk for Windows 7 with SP1 would be useful. Getting all the correct drivers up and running might also be a pain. Sorry, but that's all I can think of.

That makes it a bit harder because you may or may not know your Windows 7 activation key. Windows 8 computers didn't come with a key because the activation was based on Windows recognising the hardware. It's a shame you didn't move forward to Windows 10. Maybe it would be more straightforward to reinstall Windows 8. Once updated to 8.1 plus a third party program to put in a Start menu you would have a more secure version of Windows than W7.

OK, so you have full Win7 installation media and it will not let you do a "repair" - you get a blue screen - hangs here.

I think you have UEFI rather than classical BIOS and this can conflict with Windows 7 which does not support it.

Learn about that here: https://askleo.com/why-uefi/

Asus is your best source for support as UEFI is determined by the system maker (not Microsoft) and varies from one maker to another.

I've only got one computer new enough to have UEFI but it's not enabled. It's staying like that too. Tapping F2 at startup brings up a BIOS screen with Secure Boot as an option.

OK, so you have full Win7 installation media and it will not let you do a "repair" - you get a blue screen - hangs here.

I think you have UEFI rather than classical BIOS and this can conflict with Windows 7 which does not support it.

Learn about that here: https://askleo.com/why-uefi/

Asus is your best source for support as UEFI is determined by the system maker (not Microsoft) and varies from one maker to another.

I do have an uefi bios.
in the bios setting I have an option of os selection- windoes 8.x or windows 7, it is set to windows 7.
and also the launch csm option is enabled.

CSM stands for compatibility service module and has to be enabled for an old OS like Windows 7. It's the reason you were able to enter the BIOS in the conventional way. It looks to be set up for a reinstall of Windows 7. I don't know how you stand if you want Windows 8.

Back