Laptop freezes when trying to copy files to external HD

hn9821

When I try and copy some files onto my external HD, Windows freezes and in the end, I have to hold the power button and shut it down myself. So far, only 2 files have this problem:
- A pdf (110mb)
- A rar file (60mb)

I have also run CrystalDiskInfo and got a Caution health status.
These were yellow flagged-
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: Current- 100, Worst- 100, Threshold- 36
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: Current- 100, Worst- 100, Threshold- 0

My HD (in the laptop) is a Seagate Momentus ST9320423AS 320GB SATA
Processor - AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320 2.10 GHz
RAM - 4.00 GB (3.50 usable)
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium
Brand/Type - Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC

Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated thanks.

The Crystal Disk Info is for the file on the laptop or the external drive?

Also when copying the files, are you able to copy other pdf and rar files to the external without locking up, and are you able to copy other files of equally large size with no problem. Is the problem with these two actual files, or certain kinds or sizes of files?

Do you think the problem is with the internal or external drive? Do you have other problems with the system, or the freezing only occurs when trying to copy these two files?

The CrystalDriveInfo is for information on the internal drive.

Also, it is random files that can't be copied. There are none in particular.
I think the problem is with the internal drive as the external drive works normally with other comps/laptops.

The problem has become bigger, so I'm sure it's either Windows or my hard drive.
I cannot log into my second account now and right after you put in your password, a black appears and stays like that. However, I can still get the files from that account.

I have also run chkdsk and it has found nothing wrong whatsoever.

I am also starting to back up all my data before the hard drive becomes completely unusable.
On some files that couldn't copy, the problem stated was an I/O error.

Yea, you're going to have to replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows and then reload the drivers from the Compaq support web site.

You might also want to look through CtlPnl->Programs and Features to note all your personal programs you'll also need reinstalling and make sure you have their product activation key if it's a paid product and you need one to reactivate it upon reinstalling

I have got all the drivers now and backed up all my data.

The Compaq contains a recovery partition. Is there a way I can get that and put it into another hard drive? If so, which tool should I use?

The Recovery Manager usually allows you to create a set of recovery DVDs (which is what you need when the disk itself goes bad). Unfortunately, creating those DVDs is something one should do when they get the computer and before disk issues occur.

But you can still give it a try. In worst case, check HP/Compaq website or contact them to order Recovery CDs. I think they're around $20 USD.

Back