Laptop freezes without warning/taskbar doesn't work

Digitalme

So my laptop's been acting up a lot. Unfortunately, I'm not a tech-savvy ninja like most of you are - proof is that it took me several minutes to figure out that BSOD means blue screen of death.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) the BSOD is not my problem. I'm not sure how much background information is necessary:
My computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 running on Windows 7 Professional
I installed a 3D program (Mudbox for those of you familiar with it) and reinstalled an RPG (not Rocket Propelled Grenade :p) after having some problems with the patch installation for it.

It was working fine until I tried to launch Google Chrome and my Wifi settings: the bottom bar on my screen stops registering the mouse, and after a few minutes the entire computer freezes. I've restarted the laptop several times with the same results. I've also tried CTRL+ALT+Delete and it just causes the scene to go black before showing an error window that task manager/ windows launcher cannot load and to restarted the computer.

If there's any other information that's required I'd be willing to provide it. If you know how to solve this, please explain it as though you're explaining it to your grandmother :D

Thanks for the help.

I'm using Shaw Secure (one of the Shaw-anti virus things anyways) because my Norton security ran out. I ran a few system scans and it couldn't find anything.

Shaw looks like Norton... Once a computer is infected these programs make it nearly impossible to clean

"If you know how to solve this, please explain it as though you're explaining it to your grandmother"...
Okay granny, take the laptop to a repair shop and let them "clean" it for you. I could recommend some things, but my grandmothers would not understand, and I'm afraid you won't either :(

It's sort of fixed - involved restoring (?) a previous state of my computer (recovery mode?). And installing anti-spyware programs.
It's still running slowly and stops after attempting to launch Photoshop (of all things - my favourite program I'm being deprived of).

Any suggestions?

Maybe saying 'granny' is a bit exaggerated xD Possibly more like the knowledge of a mom I guess (or someone around that age).

I will follow them like procedures for brain surgery :)
Before I try this, would you consider it safe to transfer important files (ie school projects and Photoshop documents) to an external hard drive from my computer while it's infected?

Download Combofix and pay attention to where it is. Copy the program to the desktop and run it from there... If it still won't run, get into the Safe Mode and run it from there...

Back