Laptop Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptim

I have a friends laptop hard drive hooked up to a universal drive adapter. I'm trying to see it on my laptop with Vista. I can see the drive under Computer Management, but I cant see the files in Explorer. The drive Capacity and Free files are the same, (showing full) even though it has a operating system and other files on it.

The File System isn't labeled either. Either FAT of NTFS.

ptim said:
I have a friends laptop hard drive hooked up to a universal drive adapter. I'm trying to see it on my laptop with Vista. I can see the drive under Computer Management, but I cant see the files in Explorer. The drive Capacity and Free files are the same, (showing full) even though it has a operating system and other files on it.

The File System isn't labeled either. Either FAT of NTFS.

do this...

click on the flag the click on run, type: cmd, type drive letter: (example e:)

e:>\ dir *.* on the the drive in question can you see the files you want?

Also when you do stuff like what you did most likely NTFS file protection encryption is actived on that HDD. Did you password protect that OS like login to the OS or not?

tipstir said:
do this...

click on the flag the click on run, type: cmd, type drive letter: (example e:)

e:>\ dir *.* on the the drive in question can you see the files you want?

Also when you do stuff like what you did most likely NTFS file protection encryption is actived on that HDD. Did you password protect that OS like login to the OS or not?

Its not giving me a drive letter, yes it does have a password on it.

No drive letter then you can't do anything with it.. How did you attached this to the laptop? Are you using USB2 external HDD 2.5 enclosure or another method connected to the laptop. Does this HDD have XP or Vista OS on it?

tipstir said:
No drive letter then you can't do anything with it.. How did you attached this to the laptop? Are you using USB2 external HDD 2.5 enclosure or another method connected to the laptop. Does this HDD have XP or Vista OS on it?

Attached via a USB 2.0 Universal adapter, the hard drive has XP.

The reason I’m trying to get into the hard drive via a USB cable, is because of this error message, it doesn’t want to boot up, in ANY mode.

The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\Systemroot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
Or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

ptim said:
The reason I’m trying to get into the hard drive via a USB cable, is because of this error message, it doesn’t want to boot up, in ANY mode.

The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\Systemroot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
Or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

Fixed this error message with this:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back