Laptop missing component

Hi everyone

I recived an ASUS PRO50G laptop today from a friend in return for fixing his second laptop, he told me it show's an orange charge light and when he turns it on it show's the green lights for 3-4 second then it turns off and all the lights go out...
Another 3-4 seconds the charge light comes on again shortly after.

I didnt know what the problem was I assumed it most likely was out for the count, well I got it home and right away gutted it.
It turns out that its a missing component that appears to have been ripped off the board, the problem here is that I have no idea what it is.

So my question is, can you please help me identify a component and find a replacement?

luckily the legs for the missing component are kind of still there and so is some blue stuff that came off onto the board.
I have looked all over the board and came across this witch has the same legs and colour of blue on the bottom of the component it has IR8 08379 written on it, I was thinking that it might be the same part? can anyone tell me what it is though?
I have attached 2 picture's.

Thank you so much to anyone that can help or has any instight.

Attachments

• 12042011041.jpg
    12042011041.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 7
  • 12042011043.jpg
    12042011043.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 9
look for OEM Power management tools. my Toshiba has a set to control
{standby (orange), hybernate (nothing), charging (green) }

I can help you to a point...... the image you uploaded ending in 43.jpg is a SMD (surface mount device) inductor, and the value is the 3 digit number.
But there is no way of guessing what the value is of the one that has been ripped off the board, it might be the same value, or it might not. If you had another identical pc you could have a look.
You can buy parts from 'Digikey' or similar suppliers, that part would be around US$5 or so, but you have to know the value to order.
(If you are not sure, an inductor is a length of copper wire, wound around a ferrite (that is iron dust) former. It is there to block AC but to pass DC current, usually, or sometimes as a transformer).

Thank you for your in insightful reply.
Yeah i thought it might be a different value, im not really worried if i fry the board so i think i may just even try getting one with the same value as i dont know anyone with the same computer.
I looked on Digikey but i was still unable to find it, maybe im not typing the right thing.
Would you be able to help find it?
i found replacements for AU$250 and i also might be buying a laptop tomorrow for $650 it is an hp pavilion dv6 3138tx, sorry i couldnt post a link
sorry about the link, i havent made it to 5 post's yet.
Any opinion's on this notebook? i mainly do video editing with sony vagas and adobe premier in hd, 3d modeling in autodesk. Everything else i do ive already found out it can pretty much do, so far so good

thanks again for your help

I had a look for the component on Digikey's site, but it's the same as the one in the photo, rather than the missing one. You can get an idea if it's the correct range of inductors going by the case size, have a look at the specs, see if it compares to the one on the board for dimensions.
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/647295-inductor-shielded-1-8uh-smd-dr1030-1r8-r.html
( It's 10.5mm square, x 3mm high)
I have done some soldering work with SMD's, and you will need an iron with about a 1mm bit, and about 10W rating. I use an 'Adcola' 12W 240v iron, but it's the bit that's more important, as too much heat will damage the board.
(You will need a x8 or x10 magnifier also !! )

Back