Laptop Network Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. So.
I am trying to connect my laptop to my wireless network, based from my stationary PC. I have managed to gain access to the internet, but for some reason I cannot join the network. Under the "Network Connections" page, My Wireless Network Connection is connected, but a cable is unplugged for my Local Area Connection. In addition, only one light on my router is blinking (indicating only one computer is connected).

Basically, my laptop is not letting me set up a network while this cable is unplugged. I am trying to connect a laptop, so I have no cables to unplug. I don't know what it's talking about, and I can't figure out how to connect it.

In addition to this, I cannot access some pages online. My browser tells me that "The Connection was Reset" while the page was loading. It happens sporadically.

I never had this problem until today, when I changed my internet security programme. As far as I can tell, everything is okay with this programme -- i.e. it would allow for me to connect to another computer. However, I'm pretty sure my Local Area Connection was always connected until today.

Thanks for the help.

When I disable the Local Area Connection, and then enable it again, it says that it's "Acquiring Network Address" before it decides that a cable is unplugged. However, shutting off my new firewall and then enabling the Local Area Connection produces the same results. I don't know if that means anything...

what security program did you install?

sounds like the DHCP service request is being blocked (port 67 must be open)

I installed a progamme called "Trend Micro"

I don't know what the DHCP service request is, but I think that I know how to open/close ports. I'll check that, and then get back to you.

Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back