Laptop Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

4iv4n

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4747 model, it's 2 years old... Until about June, there were no problems with it... In June, when I tried to install some updates, I got a Blue Screen of Death. I managed to fix it... Then in about July, there was a new update for Windows Vista SP2. I installed it, but after configuring updates, it reverted the changes... There were no problems with it afterwards. I was on the laptop several days after this, and it began to run really slow, so I restarted it. And it gave me another Blue Screen, I used Startup Repair to fix the problem. Several days after, I played a game called MapleStory, but after several minutes, the laptop froze, so I turned it off by holding the power button. During the reboot, the laptop went into one of those CHKDSK sessions. First thing I noticed about this session was that there were many "File Record Segment ##### is Unreadable", where ##### are numbers... They did some deleting.... and afterwards, I got on, happy that the laptop is still working... But when I look at the Wireless Internet... It is always identifying my connection... And when I try to open programs that requires you to go through the awkward darkened desktop and a window that asks if you "Allow" or "Cancel" the program from running on Vista, it won't even go to the darkened desktop with the window...

Someone suggested that I use my recovery CDs from Toshiba to fix the problem, what should I do?

In the situation that you are in, since it has been a couple years anyway, backup all your files/programs. Make sure you note all the system specs for drivers (just in case), and re-install...
Have you been running security software on it?

I scan the computer with Malwares' AntiMalware, but can I fix the problem with my Recovery CD? Like use it to repair any corrupted or missing files? The problem was probably the unreadable file record segments, what are those anyways?

Thanks for your help so far

I can't really do any of these things because of the internet problem, where I can't download anything, and the problem with the darkened desktop and the window that's suppose to pop up when I run something. So I can't run anything, but I did get Windows Defender and MBAM to scan with no virus found... By the way... isn't Malware Bytes part of this 8 step procedure?

If you have another computer, download what you need on there and then transfer the data via flash drive or CD-ROM...

If you're lucky enough to have a Sandisk U3 'cruzer' smartdrive, you can download the U3 version of Avast on the jumpdrive and scan the computer from that without installing the Avast on the PC.(I used it to scan a computer HDD just yesterday, and it's AWESOME! ) Once it's operable you can install the full version.

It still doesn't let me run it...
But can anyone explain to me what unreadable file record segments are? Because I think thats what caused the problem.

I do have a Sandisk Cruzer and I installed Avast into it before... Unfortunately the liscense expired and I don't think I want to renew it because it asks me to pay to renew it...

But I can still turn on the laptop... In fact, I'm backing up all my files from that laptop right now...

How can I verify that the HDD is failing... because if it is, then I should just get a new HDD...

It's okay, thanks for the software. I was actually looking for something too, and I found that Windows comes with Error Check. It scans the hard drive and tries to fix problems. Do you think I should use this? I'll see what I can do with the software you gave me too...

Thanks strategic for all your help.

Do you think I should use this?

Sure, by all means, I didn't realize it came with Windows, I thought it was additional software for selected PC's.
It definitely won't hurt to run it, let us know what you come up with...;)

If there really are no problems with my HDD, I'll be back here for help with my recovery cds...
Thanks for the help so far strategic...

If i might add some info....

1) As Strategic noted early on, i would also suspect those Unreadable segments messages may well indicate a bad hard drive.. certainly something's corrupt

2) I'm also guessing what viv4n refers to as Windows' Error Check, is in fact, chkdsk (e.g. see this post as that's what you'll find it called in the Vista menus)

But i think is good to run chkdsk again anyway.. but once its all done still need to run that disk diagnostic as strategic said.. and anticipate the possible need to replace your drive (i.e. continue with your backups! :) )

I have already finished my backups. I am finished scanning with SeaTools. The results are: SMART- Pass, Short Drive Self Test- Pass, Long Drive Self Test- Fail, Short Generic- Pass, and Long Generic- Fail...
I'm not sure what a failed long generic test is, but I managed to fix the problem that involves running programs. Now my only problem is the internet, and after I turned it on today, it reads:
" Connection Status: Unknown

The dependency service or group failed to start."

Haha, I was kinda expecting that... So I should get a new hard drive? If so, after putting it into the laptop, do I just put in my Toshiba recovery CD and let it install? And what brand of hard drive do you suggest I get? How large in memory do you suggest I get? And what is the cost if I get it at let's say... Fry's Electronics?

I don't know about Fry's Electronics, but at Best Buy, you can pick up a nice Wetern Digital for around $100-$130 with 320GB capacity. I can't really recommend a size because I don't know what you have currently or what you need, but on average, 250-320GB should be more than enough (at least for me, I have 100GB, and it's plenty for what I do). Once installed, pop in your recovery disk, and follow the prompts...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back