Laptop reboots / BSOD's frequently (w/ minidumps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laptop reboots/BSOD's when using keyboard

My Acer TM 8204 WLMi keeps rebooting and getting BSOD's from time to time. Sometimes it can go for days without errors, but when it first starts rebooting automaticly, it usually keeps going very frequently (with mere minutes in between each reboot/BSOD). I have run memtest 11 rounds, and nothing wrong. I've tried trobleshooting drivers, but I couldn't find any problem there (I have this problem in Safe Mode as well!).

I have noticed that the reboots often happen the second I start typing. The laptop will work as normal ie. when I'm just surfing the web using the mouse, but reboots when I start typing. The problem has also occured when starting up games. I have cleaned the page file (deleted -> defrag), and run chkdsk. I can't imagine my laptop's PSU being the problem, and the PC is never overheated. Attached are the BSOD minidumps.

My specs:

Win XP Pro
2GB Samsung RAM (2x1GB)
Intel Centrino Core Duo 2GHz
Intel 945PM Chipset
ATI Radeon X1600 M
Toshiba 120GB HDD

Sorry, I cannot read minidumps, but your symptoms are almost certainly due to a hardware problem, very common on laptops that live a hard life. I would suggest a thorough hardware test - most laptops come with a full test available in some way from a special bootup - check the manual for a key to press, could be F6, F2 or something.

If it not hard disk I'd be a little surprised. If so, then depending upon how bad it is, a HDD manufacturer's low level test will successfully lock out bad areas and keep you running a bit longer.

After running memtest86+ again, I notice that I get errors every time I press a key on the keyboard, no matter what key I press. What could this strange link between keyboard and memory errors be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back