Laptop restart loop and failed Chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I'm working with a Toshiba Satellite Laptop and I'm having some serious issues getting it to run.

First off, I've tried installing two different versions of windows XP. One will finish installation and then when its starting up it will BSOD and restart immediately without giving me a chance to read what the error message was. The other installation just stalls out and gets stuck halfway through the installation. I've left it overnight and the progress bar just doesn't move.

I've tried switching my RAM to another slot, I've deleted and recreated partitions and tried fresh installs of xp multiple times, and now even ChkDsk won't work. So, in the Recovery Console, I type chkdsk /r, and it says:

CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
50% completed.

The progress ALWAYS stalls at 50%. I've seen it climb up to 75% and then it just reverts back to 50% and gets stuck. WTF. I'm running out of ideas to fix this problem.

PLEASE, I've read these forums for awhile now looking for some solutions, but nothings worked so far. I know you guys know your stuff when it comes to computers. If anybody has experienced this themselves or knows how to fix it please let me know. Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

I don't know, i'll try to find some on their site.

Also, I have an update on the BSOD. The screens are staying up a little bit longer now for some reason and I was able to catch a glimpse of what they're saying. One said "ntfs.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". There was another one too that had a different error message, but I couldn't make it out.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

* It is this second one that the standard diagnostic proceedure of using your harddrive manufacturer's utility to diagnose your harddrive comes into play.

* I am also wondering if there just might be a memory issue here, but the harddrive may still be the main focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back